- Windows 10
Take a Test is an app that locks down the PC and displays an online assessment web page.
Whether you are a teacher or IT administrator, you can easily configure Take a Test to meet your testing needs. For high-stakes tests, the app creates a browser-based, locked-down environment for more secure online assessments. This means that students taking the tests that don’t have copy/paste privileges, can’t access to files and applications, and are free from distractions. For simple tests and quizzes, Take a Test can be configured to use the teacher’s preferred assessment website to deliver digital assessments
PC lockdown for assessment
When the assessment page initiates lock down, the student’s desktop will be locked and the app will be launched above the Windows lock screen to provide a sandbox that ensures the student can only interact with the Take a Test app . After transitioning to the lock screen, Take a Test will apply local MDM policies to further lock down the device. The whole process of going above the lock screen and applying policies is what defines lockdown. The lockdown process is atomic, which means that if any part of the lockdown operation fails, the app will not be above lock and won't have any of the policies applied.
When running above the lock screen:
- The app runs full screen with no chrome
- The hardware print screen button is disabled
- Depending on the parameter you set through the schema or dedicated account, content within the app will show up as black in screen capturing/sharing software
- System clipboard is cleared
- Web apps can query the processes currently running in the user’s device
- Extended display shows up as black
- Auto-fill is disabled
Mobile device management (MDM) policies
When Take a Test is running, the following MDM policies are applied to lock down the PC.
|AllowToasts||Disables toast notifications from being shown||0|
|AllowAppStoreAutoUpdate||Disables automatic updates for Windows Store apps that are installed on the PC||0|
|AllowDeviceDiscovery||Disables UI for screen sharing||0|
|AllowInput Panel||Disables the onscreen keyboard which will disable auto-fill||0|
|AllowCortana||Disables Cortana functionality||0|
|AllowAutoupdate||Disables Windows Update from starting OS updates||5|
When Take a Test is running, the following functionality is available to students:
- Assistive technology that is configured to run above the lock screen should run as expected
- Narrator is available through Windows key + Enter
Magnifier is available through Windows key + "+" key
- Full screen mode is compatible
The student can press Alt+Tab when locked down. This results in the student being able to switch between the following:
- Take a Test
- Assistive technology that may be running
Lock screen (not available if student is using a dedicated test account)
The app will exit if the student signs in to an account from the lock screen. Progress made in the test may be lost or invalidated.
The student can exit the test by pressing one of the following key combinations:
- Alt+F4 (Take a Test will restart if the student is using a dedicated test account)