- Windows 10
Learn how teachers can get and distribute Minecraft: Education Edition.
Add Minecraft to your Microsoft Store for Education
Go to http://education.minecraft.net/ and select GET STARTED.
Enter your email address.
Select Get the app. This will take you to Microsoft Store for Ecucation to download the app. You will also receive an email with instructions and a link to the Store.
Sign in to Microsoft Store for Education with your email address.
Read and accept the Microsoft Store for Business and Education Service Agreement, and then select Next.
Minecraft: Education Edition opens in the Microsoft Store for Education. Select Get the app. This places Minecraft: Education Edition in your Microsoft Store inventory.
If you need additional licenses for Minecraft: Education Edition, see Purchase additional licenses.
After Minecraft: Education Edition is added to your Microsoft Store for Education inventory, you have three options:
- You can install the app on your PC.
- You can assign the app to others.
- You can download the app to distribute.
Install for me
You can install the app on your PC. This gives you a chance to work with the app before using it with your students.
- Sign in to Microsoft Store for Education.
Click Manage, and then click Install.
Assign to others
Enter email addresses for your students, and each student will get an email with a link to install the app. This option is best for older, more tech-savvy students who will always use the same PC at school.
To assign to others
- Sign in to Microsoft Store for Education.
Click Invite people.
Type the name, or email address of the student or group you want to assign the app to, and then click Assign.
You can assign the app to students with work or school accounts.
If you don't find the student, you can still assign the app to them if self-service sign up is supported for your domain. Students will receive an email with a link to Office 365 portal where they can create an account, and then install Minecraft: Education Edition. Questions about self-service sign up? Check with your admin.
To finish Minecraft install (for students)
Students will receive an email with a link that will install the app on their PC.
- Click Get the app to start the app install in Windows Store app.
In Windows Store app, click Install.
After installing the app, students can find Minecraft: Education Edition in Windows Store app under My Library.
When students click My Library they'll find apps assigned to them.
Download for others
Download for others allows teachers or IT admins to download a packages that they can install on student PCs. This will install Minecraft: Education Edition on the PC, and allows anyone with a Windows account to use the app on that PC. This option is best for students, and for shared computers. Choose this option when:
- You have administrative permissions to install apps on the PC.
- You want to install this app on each of your student's Windows 10 (at least version 1511) PCs.
- Your students share Windows 10 computers, but sign in with their own Windows account.
- Administrative permissions are required on the PC. If you don't have the correct permissions, you won't be able to install the app.
- Windows 10 (at least version 1511) is required for PCs running Minecraft: Education Edition.
Check for updates
Minecraft: Education Edition will not install if there are updates pending for other apps on the PC. Before installing Minecraft, check to see if there are pending updates for Windows Store apps.
To check for app updates
- Start Windows Store app on the PC (click Start, and type Store).
Click the account button, and then click Downloads and updates.
Click Check for updates, and install all available updates.
Restart the computer before installing Minecraft: Education Edition.
To download for others
You'll download a .zip file, extract the files, and then use one of the files to install Minecraft: Education Edition on each PC.
Download Minecraft Education Edition.zip. From the Minecraft: Education Edition page, click Download for others tab, and then click Download.
Extract files. Find the .zip file that you downloaded and extract the files. This is usually your Downloads folder, unless you chose to save the .zip file to a different location. Right-click the file and choose Extract all.
- Save to USB drive. After you've extracted the files, save the Minecraft: Education Edition folder to a USB drive, or to a network location that you can access from each PC.
- Install app. Use the USB drive to copy the Minecraft folder to each Windows 10 PC where you want to install Minecraft: Education Edition. Open Minecraft: Education Edition folder, right-click InstallMinecraftEducationEdition.bat and click Run as administrator.
- Quick check. The install program checks the PC to make sure it can run Minecraft: Education Edition. If your PC passes this test, the app will automatically install.
- Restart. Once installation is complete, restart each PC. Minecraft: Education Edition app is now ready for any student to use.
If you ran InstallMinecraftEducationEdition.bat and Minecraft: Education Edition isn't available, there are a few things that might have happened.
|Script ran, but it doesn't look like the app installed.||There might be pending app updates.||Check for app updates (see steps earlier in this topic).
Install updates. Restart PC.
Run InstallMinecraftEducationEdition.bat again.
|App won't install.||AppLocker is configured and preventing app installs.||Contact IT Admin.|
|App won't install.||Policy prevents users from installing apps on the PC.||Contact IT Admin.|
|Script starts, but stops quickly.||Policy prevents scripts from running on the PC.||Contact IT Admin.|
|App isn't available for other users.||No restart after install. If you don't restart the PC, and just switch users the app will not be available.||Restart PC.
Run InstallMinecraftEducationEdition.bat again. If a restart doesn't work, contact your IT Admin.
If you are still having trouble installing the app, you can get more help on our Support page.
Working with Microsoft Store for Education
Learn about overall Microsoft Store for Business management: manage settings, shop for apps, distribute apps, manage inventory, and manage order history. Get Minecraft: Education Edition For IT admins: get Minecraft: Education Edition