Windows 10 Telemetry Requirements
New telemetry settings where introduced in Windows 10 that control telemetry data that is sent outbound to various Microsoft services. This policy has no impact to 3rd party services.
The configuration of this policy has a direct impact on the Enterprise Threat Detection service. Failure to configure the policy as described below, will result in no data, or incomplete data, being collected.
For more details, please see: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization
When is this setting required?
- Windows 10 OEM - Required
- Windows 10 Version 1511 (November Update) - Required
- Windows 10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Edition) - Required
- Windows 10 Version 1703 (Creators Update) - NOT Required
- Windows 10 later versions - NOT Required
Use Group Policy to set the telemetry level
Use a Group Policy object to set your organization’s telemetry level.
- From the Group Policy Management Console, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
- Double-click Allow Telemetry.
- In the Options box, select Full, and then click OK.
Levels and Impact to Enterprise Threat Detection
- Full (3) - StageOne Log File, and Cab File when Requested
- Enhanced (2) - StageOne Log File only
- Basic (1) - StageOne Log File Only
- Security (0) - No WER Data