Intune & Company Portal
With Mobile Device Management (MDM), you can use your own custom apps through Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Intune) to deploy it directly to your HoloLens devices. Microsoft Intune is a cloud-based service that focuses on mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM). Intune is included in Microsoft's Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) suite, and enables users to be productive while keeping your organization data protected. To learn more about Intune, read What is Intune.
Upload an app to a Line of Business, or upload a custom app to your Intune tenant. See also: Enterprise app management.
Assign your app to a group. Based on the assignment type you choose, the app can be delivered automatically or available to be readily pulled down if you have a selection of apps.
When building your appx bundle make sure to account for including the architecture for the device(s) that you are deploying to. HoloLens 2 is ARM64, and HoloLens (1st Gen) is x86. You may include both in a single appx bundle if you plan on having a mixed devices environment.
To have your app to be automatically installed on the device after enrollment, you should select Required for that group(s). To make your app available for download to devices enrolled through the company portal, select Available for enrolled devices.
After you have set up configuration on Intune, you are ready for end users to receive your selected apps.
Follow these steps to automatically get your app(s):
- Enroll your device with your tenant.
- Once your device has completed enrollment, you should receive the app on your device.
- If you are not seeing you app immediately, go to Settings > Accounts > Work or School > your account Info, and scroll down to see information on installed app status.
How to get to apps through the Company Portal:
- Open the Start Menu and select Microsoft Store.
- Search for Company Portal and download the app.
- Sign into your account.
- Select the app you wish to receive and download it.