Insider preview for Microsoft HoloLens
Welcome to the latest Insider Preview builds for HoloLens! It's simple to get started and provide valuable feedback for our next major operating system update for HoloLens.
Start receiving Insider builds
On a HoloLens 2 device go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Insider Program and select Get started. Link the account you used to register as a Windows Insider.
Then, select Active development of Windows, choose whether you'd like to receive Fast or Slow builds, and review the program terms.
Select Confirm -> Restart Now to finish up. After your device has rebooted, go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Check for updates to get the latest build.
Stop receiving Insider builds
If you no longer want to receive Insider builds of Windows Holographic, you can opt out when your HoloLens is running a production build, or you can recover your device using the Advanced Recovery Companion to recover your device to a non-Insider version of Windows Holographic.
There is a known issue in which users who un-enroll from Insider Preview builds after manually reinstalling a fresh preview build would experience a blue screen. Afterwards they must manually recover their device. For full details on if you would be impacted or not, please view more on this Known Issue.
To verify that your HoloLens is running a production build:
- Go to Settings > System > About, and find the build number.
- See the release notes for production build numbers.
To opt out of Insider builds:
- On a HoloLens running a production build, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program, and select Stop Insider builds.
- Follow the instructions to opt out your device.
Provide feedback and report issues
Please use the Feedback Hub app on your HoloLens to provide feedback and report issues. Using Feedback Hub ensures that all necessary diagnostics information is included to help our engineers quickly debug and resolve the problem. Issues with the Chinese and Japanese version of HoloLens should be reported the same way.
Be sure to accept the prompt that asks whether you'd like Feedback Hub to access your Documents folder (select Yes when prompted).
Note for developers
You are welcome and encouraged to try developing your applications using Insider builds of HoloLens. Check out the HoloLens Developer Documentation to get started. Those same instructions work with Insider builds of HoloLens. You can use the same builds of Unity and Visual Studio that you're already using for HoloLens development.
Windows Insider Release Notes
We'll be updating this page again with new features again as we release them to Windows Insider builds.
FFU download and flash directions
To test with a flight signed ffu, you first have to flight unlock your device prior to flashing the flight signed ffu.
- On PC
- Download ffu to your PC from: https://aka.ms/hololenspreviewdownload
- Install ARC (Advanced Recovery Companion) from the Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P74Z35SFRS8
- On HoloLens - Flight Unlock: Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program then sign up, reboot device
- Flash FFU - Now you can flash the flight signed FFU using ARC