How to Manage and Administer the Microsoft Web Platform
by Tali Smith
The following articles provide guidance in managing and administering the Microsoft® Web Platform.
- Create a Web Site. This article provides guidance for creating Web sites.
- Select a Provisioning Option. This article provides guidance for provisioning Web sites for both IT administrators and the software developers.
- Improve Error Messages in PHP. This article describes how you can use Internet Information Services (IIS) for more descriptive error messages.
- Use the Application Warm-Up Module. This article describes how you can improve the responsiveness of your Web sites by proactively loading and initializing all the dependencies.
- Run Multiple Versions of PHP on IIS. This article describes how you can run multiple versions of PHP side by side, which can be very useful in certain scenarios.
- Use Bit Rate Throttling. This extension provides lets you throttle progressive downloads of media files based on the content bit rate. For sites that deliver audio and video files that may not be watched in their entirety, this extension can significantly reduce your media-related bandwidth costs.
- Troubleshoot with Failed Request Tracing. Failed Request Tracing lets you create failure definitions that automatically capture detailed execution traces of certain requests. See also Troubleshooting Failed Requests Using Tracing in IIS 7.0 and Above and Using Failed Request Tracing to Trace Rewrite Rules.
The Web Deployment Tool (WDT) and the Database Manager are particularly helpful in managing and administering the Microsoft Web Platform.
- Use the Web Deployment Tool. The WDT simplifies the migration, management, and deployment of Internet Information Services (IIS) Web servers, Web applications, and Web sites. See Web Deployment Tool for detailed infrmation on all aspects of the WDT.
- Use the Database Manager. Database Manager is a new IIS module specifically designed for the management of databases located in hosting environments. See Using the IIS Database Manager for detailed information.