by Simon Tan
BlogEngine.NET is an open source .NET blogging platform for Microsoft .NET. For more information about BlogEngine.Net, refer to the BlogEngine.NET Web site. For step-by-step instructions on installing this application in an IIS environment, see the Procedure section of this document.
For information about technical requirements for your IIS environment, refer to Install Server Components.
Step 1. Install the application in an IIS test environment.
To install the application, you can use Web Platform Installer or WebMatrix. These procedures are described in this step.
Web Platform Installer
The Microsoft Web Platform Installer 2.0 (Web PI) is a free tool that allows you to easily install and run the most popular free web applications for blogging, content management and more with the built-in Windows Web Application Gallery. For more information about Web PI, refer to the Microsoft Web Platform Installer 2.0 Web site.
To use Web PI to install this application, complete these steps:
From the Windows Start menu, click Programs, and then click Web Platform Installer.
Click the Web Applications tab, select the BlogEngine.NET check box, and click Install.
Select the BlogEngine.NET check box, and click I Accept.
Select Mixed Mode Authentication, enter a password, and click Continue.
- In the Web Site list, click New Web Site.
- Enter an application name in the application name field.
- Enter a web site name in the Web Site Name field.
- Enter a physical path in the Physical path field.
- In the IP address list, click All Unassigned, and enter 80 in the Port field.
Enter a host name in the Host Name field, and click Continue.
- In the Choose your database list, click SQL Server.
- In the Create a new or use an existing database list, click Create new database.
- Enter a database administrator user name in the Database Admin Username field.
- Enter a password in the Database Admin Password field.
WebMatrix is a free, easy way to customize and build Web sites from popular open-source applications, such as WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla. In addition, you can build sites from the ground up using ASP.NET, PHP, HTML and a number of other leading technologies. For more information about WebMatrix, refer to the WebMatrix Web site.
To use WebMatrix to install this application, complete these steps:
Click Site From Web Gallery.
Click BlogEngine.NET, and click Next.
Click I Accept to agree to the end-user license agreement.
- Click Settings in the left navigation area.
- Select .Net 4 (Integrated) from the Select .NET Framework Version drop-down list.
To configure the settings for your hosting provider and domain, select Publish > Configure.
- Add your hosting provide and domain-specific information, and click Validate Connection.
If the connection was successful, click Apply, and then click Publish.
Once changes have been determined, check the Publish to SQL Server check box, and click Continue.
- Once publishing is complete, go to your domain, and verify BlogEngine.NET is running.
Step 2. Build the application package from the IIS site.
To build the application package from the IIS site, complete the steps described in Export a Package through IIS Manager.
Step 3. Install the application on the target server.
To install the application on the target server, complete the steps described in Import a Package through IIS Manager.