This article provides a map to the various sources of information on Sustainable Computing relevant to Web Hosting Organizations. From Best Practices employed by Microsoft IT teams for Creation and Management of Data Centers to specific features being built into Microsoft Products to help you measure and manage your organization's Carbon Footprint. This information should help you prioritized your Sustainable Computing investments.
The Green Grid
The Green Grid is a global consortium dedicated to advancing energy efficiency in data centers and business computing ecosystems. It is focused on the following: defining meaningful, user-centric models and metrics; developing standards, measurement methods, processes and new technologies to improve data center performance against the defined metrics; and promoting the adoption of energy efficient standards, processes, measurements and technologies.
For information on the Green Grid see The Green Grid: The Quest for Energy Efficient IT.
Data Center Guidance
- Energy Efficiency Best Practices in Microsoft Data Center Operations
- Guidelines for Energy-Efficient Data Centers
- The Green Grid Data Center Power Efficiency Metrics: PUE and DCiE
- The Green Grid Peer Review of "DC Power for Improved Data Center Efficiency"
- Five Ways to Reduce Data Center Server Power Consumption