|Applies to: Intune in the Azure portal preview|
|Because this is a preview, details and functionality are subject to change.
Looking for documentation about the classic Intune console? Go to Intune docs for the classic portal.
Use the information in this topic to learn how to configure a Windows 10 edition upgrade profile. This profile lets you automatically upgrade devices that run one of the following Windows 10 versions to a different edition:
- Windows 10 Home
- Windows 10 Holographic
- Windows 10 Mobile
The following upgrade paths are supported:
- From Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise
- From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Education
- From Windows 10 Mobile to Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise
- From Windows 10 Holographic Pro to Windows 10 Holographic Enterprise
Before you start
Before you begin to upgrade devices to the latest version, you will need one of the following:
- A product key that is valid to install the new version of Windows on all devices that you target with the policy (for Windows 10 Desktop editions). You can use either Multiple Activation Keys (MAK) or Key Management Server (KMS) keys. or A license file from Microsoft that contains the licensing information to install the new version of Windows on all devices that you target with the policy (for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Holographic editions).
- The Windows 10 devices that you target must be enrolled in Microsoft Intune. You cannot use the edition upgrade policy with PCs that run the Intune PC client software.
Create a device profile containing device restriction settings
- Sign into the Azure portal.
- Choose More Services > Other > Intune.
- On the Intune blade, choose Device configuration.
- On the Device Configuration blade, choose Manage > Profiles.
- On the profiles blade, choose Create Profile.
- On the Create Profile blade, enter a Name and Description for the edition upgrade profile.
- From the Platform drop-down list, choose Windows 10 and later.
- From the Profile type drop-down list, choose Edition upgrade.
- On the Edition Upgrade blade, configure the following:
- Edition to upgrade from - From the drop-down list, select the Windows 10 version that you want to upgrade on devices.
- Edition to upgrade to - From the drop-down list, select the version of Windows 10 Desktop, Windows 10 Holographic, or Windows 10 Mobile that you want to upgrade targeted devices to.
- Product Key - Specify the product key that you obtained from Microsoft, which can be used to upgrade all targeted Windows 10 Desktop devices.
.After you create a policy that contains a product key, you cannot edit the product key later. This is because the key is obscured for security reasons. To change the product key, you must enter the entire key again.
- License File - Choose Browse to select the license file you obtained from Microsoft that contains license information for the Windows Holographic, or Windows 10 Mobile edition that you want to upgrade targeted devices to.
- When you're done, go back to the Create Profile blade, and hit Create.
The profile will be created and appears on the profiles list blade. If you want to go ahead and assign this profile to groups, see How to assign device profiles.