How to add an app to Microsoft Intune
|Applies to: Intune in the Azure portal preview|
|Because this is a preview, details and functionality are subject to change.
Looking for documentation about the classic Intune console? Go to Intune docs for the classic portal.
Before you can manage and assign apps for your users, you must add them to Intune. Intune supports a wide range of different app types, and the options might be different for each type.
Intune supports adding and assigning these app types:
The following platforms are supported. Click one of the topics for more information on how to add each app type.
- Android line-of-business apps
- Android store apps
- iOS line-of-business apps
- iOS store apps
- Web apps (for all platforms)
- Windows Phone 8.1 store apps
- Windows store apps
When you add and deploy an app from a store, end users must have an account with that store in order to be able to install the app.
Cloud storage space
All apps that you create by using the software installer installation type (for example, a line-of-business app) are packaged and uploaded to Microsoft Intune cloud storage. A trial subscription of Intune includes 2 gigabytes (GB) of cloud-based storage that is used to store managed apps and updates. Your full subscription includes 20 GB of storage space.
You can purchase additional storage for Intune using your original purchase method. If you paid by invoice or credit card, visit the Subscription Management portal. Otherwise, contact your partner or sales associate.
Requirements for cloud storage space are as follows:
- All app installation files must be in the same folder.
- The maximum file size for any file that you upload is 2 GB.
How to create and edit categories for apps
App categories can be used to help you sort apps to make them easier for end users to find in the company portal. You can assign one or more categories to an app, for example, Developer apps, or Communication apps. When you add an app to Intune, you are given the option to select the category you want. Use the platform-specific topics to add an app, and assign categories. To create and edit your own categories, use the following procedure:
- Sign into the Azure portal.
- Choose More Services > Monitoring + Management > Intune.
- On the Intune blade, choose Manage apps.
- In the Mobile apps workload, choose Setup > App categories.
- On the App categories blade, a list of the current categories is shown. Choose one of the following actions:
- Create a category - On the Create category blade, enter a name for the new category. Names can be entered in one language only, and are not translated by Intune. When you are done, click Create.
- Edit a category - For any category in the list, choose '...'. On the Properties blade, you can enter a new name for the category, or delete the category.