|Applies to: Intune in the Azure portal preview|
|Because this is a preview, details and functionality are subject to change.
Looking for documentation about the classic Intune console? Go to Intune docs for the classic portal.
The iOS app store lets you purchase multiple licenses for an app that you want to run in your company. This helps you reduce the administrative overhead of tracking multiple purchased copies of apps.
Microsoft Intune helps you manage apps that you purchased through this program by importing the license information from the app store, tracking how many of the licenses you have used, and preventing you from installing more copies of the app than you own.
Additionally, you can synchronize, manage, and assign books you purchased from the Apple volume-purchase program store with Intune, and assign these to users. Use the Books workload in the Intune portal to manage books. The procedures to manage books are the same as you use for managing apps. You must have uploaded an Apple Volume Purchase Program token in order to do this. Currently, you can only assign books as a Required install. When you assign a book to a device, that device must have the built-in iBooks app installed. If it is not, the end user must re-install the app in order to read the book. You cannot currently use Intune to restore removed built-in apps.
Manage volume-purchased apps for iOS devices
You purchase multiple licenses for iOS apps through the Apple Volume Purchase Program for Business or the Apple Volume Purchase Program for Education. This involves setting up an Apple VPP account from the Apple website and uploading the Apple VPP token to Intune. You can then synchronize your volume purchase information with Intune and track your volume-purchased app use.
Before you start
Before you start, you'll need to get a VPP token from Apple and upload this to your Intune account. Additionally, you should understand the following:
- You can associate multiple volume-purchase program tokens with your Intune account.
- If you previously used a VPP token with a different product, you must generate a new one to use with Intune.
- Each token is valid for one year.
- By default, Intune syncs with the Apple VPP service twice a day. You can start a manual sync at any time.
- After you have imported the VPP token to Intune, do not import the same token to any other device management solution. Doing so might result in the loss of license assignment and user records.
- Before you start to use iOS VPP with Intune, remove any existing VPP user accounts created with other mobile device management (MDM) vendors. Intune will not synchronize those user accounts into Intune as a security measure. Intune will only synchronize data from the Apple VPP service that Intune created.
To get and upload an Apple VPP token
- Sign into the Azure portal.
- Choose More Services > Other > Intune.
- On the Intune blade, choose Mobile apps.
- In the Mobile Apps workload, choose Setup > iOS VPP Tokens.
- On the list of VPP tokens blade, click Add.
- On the New VPP Token blade, specify the following information:
- VPP token file - If you haven't already, sign up for the Volume Purchase Program for Business or the Volume Purchase Program for Education. After you sign up, download the Apple VPP token for your account and select it here.
- Apple ID - Enter the Apple ID of the account associated with the volume-purchase program.
- Type of VPP account - Choose from Business or Education.
- When you are done, click Upload.
The token is displayed in the list of tokens blade.
You can synchronize the data held by Apple with Intune at any time by choosing Sync now.
To assign a volume-purchased app
- In the Mobile Apps workload, choose Manage > Licensed Apps.
- On the list of apps blade, choose the app you want to assign, and then choose '...' > Assign Groups.
- On the <app name> - Groups Assigned blade, choose Manage > Groups Assigned.
- Choose Assign Groups then, on the Select groups blade, choose the Azure AD user or device groups to which you want to assign the app. You must choose an assignment action of Required. Additionally, assignments to device groups are available to new tenants created after January 2017. If your tenant was created before then, and you do not have the option to assign VPP apps to device groups, contact Intune support.
- Once you are done, choose Save.
See How to monitor apps for information to help you monitor app assignments.
When you assign the app as a Required installation, each user who installs the app uses a license.
To reclaim a license, you must change the assignment action to Uninstall. The license will be reclaimed after the app is uninstalled.
When a user with an eligible device first tries to install a VPP app, they will be asked to join the Apple Volume Purchase program. They must do this before the app installation proceeds.
When you deploy a VPP app as Available, the app content and license are deployed directly from the app store.