You can use Autopilot Reset to remove personal files, apps, and settings from your devices. The devices remain enrolled in Intune and are returned to a fully-configured or known IT-approved state. You can Autopilot Reset a device locally or remotely from the Intune for Education portal.
Using the Intune for Education portal, you avoid the need for IT staff to visit each device to start the process. From the portal, you can reset a single device or do a bulk reset for all devices in a group. Resetting all devices in a group lets you quickly wipe and reconfigure student devices to prepare them for the new school year. After a reset, the original settings are applied to the device and then it syncs with Intune to get the latest policies.
Using Autopilot Reset locally is only available for devices running Windows 10 version 1709 or later. Using Autopilot Reset remotely is only available for devices running Windows 10 build 17672 or later.
Use Autopilot Reset locally
If you need to wipe a single device, you can do so directly on the device. On the device, press CTRL+WIN+R.
Use Autopilot Reset remotely for a single device
- In Intune for Education, choose Groups > choose a device group.
- Select a device > Autopilot Reset. To confirm the reset, select Autopilot Reset again.
- A message appears when the reset is initiated. The device will reset the next time it connects to the Internet.
Use Autopilot Reset remotely for devices in bulk
- In Intune for Education, choose Groups > choose the group.
- Select Autopilot Reset all devices.
- In the Autopilot Reset group box, type the name of the current group. Then select Autopilot Reset to confirm.
- Each device will be reset the next time that it connects to the Internet. If any of the devices don’t support remote Autopilot Reset, you'll see a table named Devices failed to reset. The table lists each device and the reason that it couldn't be reset.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.