Add built-in apps to Microsoft Intune
The built-in app type makes it easy for you to assign curated managed apps, such as Office 365 apps, to iOS and Android devices. You can assign specific apps for this app type, such as Excel, OneDrive, Outlook, Skype, and others. After you add an app, the app type is displayed as either Built-in iOS app or Built-in Android app. By using the built-in app type, you can choose which of these apps to publish to device users.
In earlier versions of the Intune console, Intune provided several default managed Office 365 apps, such as Outlook and OneDrive. The app types for these managed apps were tagged as Managed iOS Store App or Managed Android App. Instead of using these app types, we recommend that you use the built-in app type. By using the built-in app type, you have the additional flexibility to edit and delete Office 365 apps.
Default Office 365 apps that are tagged as Managed iOS Store and Managed Android App are removed from the app list when all assignments are deleted.
Add a built-in app
To add a built-in app to your available apps in Microsoft Intune, do the following:
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin Center.
- Select Apps > All apps > Add.
- In the Add app pane, in the App type list, select Built-In app.
- Select Select app.
- In the Built-In app pane, select the apps that you want to include.
- In the Add app pane, select Add.
Configure app information
You can modify information about the built-in app. This information helps you to identify the app in Intune and helps users find the app in the company portal.
- Select Apps > All apps and select the built-in app that you want to modify.
A pane for the built-in app is displayed.
- Select the Properties > Configure.
- In the App information pane, you can modify the following information:
- Name: Enter the name of the built-in app as it is displayed in the company portal. Make sure all names that you use are unique. If the same app name exists twice, only one of the apps is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Description: Enter a description for the app.
- Publisher: Enter the name of the publisher of the app.
- Category: Optionally, select one or more of the built-in app categories. Setting this option makes it easier for users to find the app when they browse the company portal.
- Display this as a featured app in the company portal: Display the app prominently on the main page of the company portal when users browse for apps.
- Information URL: Optionally, enter the URL of a website that contains information about this app. The URL is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Privacy URL: Optionally, enter the URL of a website that contains privacy information for this app. The URL is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Developer: Optionally, enter the name of the app developer.
- Owner: Optionally, enter a name for the owner of this app (for example, HR department).
- Notes: Enter any notes that you want to associate with this app.
- Upload Icon: Upload an icon that is displayed with the app when users browse the company portal.
- Select OK.
- In the Properties pane, select Save.
- You can now assign the apps to the groups that you choose. For more information, see Assign apps to groups.