Delivery optimization settings in Microsoft Intune
With Intune, you can use Delivery optimization settings for your Windows 10 devices to reduce bandwidth consumption when those devices download applications and updates. Delivery optimization is configured as part of your device configuration profiles.
This article describes how to configure delivery optimization settings as part of a device configuration profile. After you create a profile, you then assign or deploy that profile to your Windows 10 devices.
For a list of the delivery optimization settings that Intune supports, see Delivery optimization settings for Intune.
To learn about Delivery Optimization on Windows 10, see Delivery Optimization updates in the Windows documentation.
Software updates – Windows 10 Update Rings are replaced by the Delivery optimization settings. Your existing update rings can be changed to use the Delivery optimization settings. Move existing update rings to delivery optimization (in this article)
Create the profile
Sign in to Intune.
Select Device configuration > Profiles > Create Profile.
Enter the following properties:
Name: Enter a descriptive name for the new profile.
Description: Enter a description for the profile. This setting is optional, but recommended.
Platform: Select the platform:
- Windows 10 and later
Profile type: Select Delivery optimization.
Settings: Configure settings that define how you want updates and apps to download. For information about available settings, see Delivery optimization settings for Intune.
When finished, select OK > Create to save your changes.
Move existing update rings to delivery optimization
Delivery optimization settings replace Software updates – Windows 10 Update Rings. Your existing update rings can be easily changed to use the Delivery optimization settings. To maintain the same settings when you create a delivery optimization profile, use the same Delivery optimization download mode and then set the same settings as you already use. However, you can choose to reconfigure delivery optimization settings to take advantage of the full range of addition settings that the Delivery Optimization profile can manage.
Create a delivery optimization configuration profile:
In Intune, select Device configuration > Profiles > Create profile.
Enter the following properties:
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the new profile.
- Description: Enter a description for the profile. This setting is optional, but recommended.
- Platform: Select Windows 10 and later.
- Profile type: Select Delivery optimization.
- Settings: For Delivery optimization download mode, choose the same mode that's used by the existing software update ring unless you want to change the settings you apply to your devices. Your options:
- Not configured
- HTTP only, no peering
- HTTP blended with peering behind the same NAT
- HTTP blended with peering across a private group
- HTTP blended with Internet peering
- Simple download mode with no peering
- Bypass mode
Configure any additional settings you might want to manage.
Assign this new profile to the same devices and users as the existing software update ring. Assign the profile lists the steps.
Unconfigure the existing software ring:
- In Intune, go to Software updates > Windows 10 Update Rings.
- In the list, select your update ring.
- In the settings, set Delivery optimization download mode to Not configured.
- OK > Save your changes.