Locate lost or stolen iOS devices with Intune
To get the location of a lost or stolen iOS device on a map, use the Locate device action. The device must be in supervised mode. Before you use this action, be sure the device is in lost mode.
- iOS 9.3 and later
This feature is not supported for the following systems:
- Windows Phone
Locate a lost or stolen device
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin Center.
- Select Devices, and then select All devices.
- From the list of devices you manage, choose an iOS device, and choose ...More. Then choose the Locate device remote action.
- After the device is located, its location is shown in Locate device.
Activate lost mode sound alert on an iOS device
If someone has lost their iOS 9.3 or later device, you can remotely trigger the device to play an alert sound so the user can find it. The device must be in lost mode.
In the Intune in the Azure portal, choose Devices > All devices > select an iOS device > Overview > More > Play Lost mode sound (supervise only).
The sound will continue to play until the user disables the sound on the device or the device is removed from lost mode.
Security and privacy information for lost mode and locate device actions
- No device location information is sent to Intune until you turn on this action.
- When you use the locate device action, the latitude and longitude coordinates of the device can be retrieved by using the Graph API.
- The data is stored for 24 hours, then removed. You cannot manually remove the location data.
- Location data is encrypted, both while stored and while being transmitted.
- When you configure lost mode, you can customize a message that appears on the lock screen. In this message, to help the person that finds the device, be sure to include specific details to return the lost device.
To see the status of enabling locate device, open Devices, and select Device actions.