The Mixed Reality Toolkit (MRTK) is a cross-platform toolkit for building mixed reality experiences for Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). The toolkit provides a set of components and features which could be used to accelerate your Windows Mixed Reality development.
Suppose you're creating a mixed reality experience in which the user needs the ability to move, rotate, and scale a holographic object. Although you could start from scratch and create your own script to enable such manipulations, your workflow of adding direct manipulation to holograms and configuring constraints may be time consuming--especially if there are multiple objects to configure.
In this module, you'll configure Unity for Windows Mixed Reality development and import the Mixed Reality Toolkit (MRTK) into your project. The Mixed Reality Toolkit includes an ObjectManipulator script, which will be applied to a cube for direct manipulation with hands.
By the end of this module, you'll be able to set up a Unity project configured for Windows Mixed Reality development and use the Mixed Reality Toolkit to accelerate your mixed reality development.
- Configure Unity for Windows Mixed Reality Development
- Import the Mixed Reality Toolkit (MRTK) foundation package into Unity
- Add MRTK to a Unity scene
- Compare and contrast the three primary MRTK interaction models
- Manipulate holograms using ObjectManipulator
- A Windows 10 PC configured with the correct tools
- Windows 10 SDK 10.0.18362.0 or later
- Unity Hub with Unity 2019.2.X installed
- Basic familiarity with Unity - interface, scene creation, package import, addition of GameObjects to a scene