Move users to different subscriptions
Watch: Move users to a different subscription
As your users change roles, they may need features that aren't available in their current Microsoft 365 Business Premium subscription. When this happens, you can add a new subscription that includes those features, and assign licenses to the people who need them.
Add a new subscription
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Billing, and then Purchase services.
- Choose the subscription you would like to add, and then select Buy.
- Choose how you want to pay and the number of licenses you need, and then select Check out now.
- Review your order, and then choose Next.
- Confirm your total, and select Place order.
Change the license assigned to a user
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Users, and then Active users.
- Select the name of the user, and then select Licenses and apps.
- Under Licenses, you'll see your new subscription. Select the check box next to the new subscription, and clear the check box next to the old subscription.
- Select Save changes. The license for the new subscription is now assigned to this user.
Remove an unused license
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, select Billing, and then Products & services.
- Select the subscription you want to change, and then select Add/remove licenses.
- Use the down arrow to reduce the number of licenses for this subscription, and then select Submit change. You now have the right number of licenses for your users.