Move users to different subscriptions
As your users change roles, they may need features that aren't available in their current Microsoft 365 Business Premium subscription. When this happens, you can add a new subscription that includes those features, and assign licenses to the people who need them.
Add a new subscription
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Billing, and then Purchase services.
- Choose the subscription you would like to add, and then select Buy.
- Choose how you want to pay and the number of licenses you need, and then select Check out now.
- Review your order, and then choose Next.
- Confirm your total, and select Place order.
Change the license assigned to a user
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Users, and then Active users.
- Select the name of the user, and then select Licenses and apps.
- Under Licenses, you'll see your new subscription. Select the check box next to the new subscription, and clear the check box next to the old subscription.
- Select Save changes. The license for the new subscription is now assigned to this user.
Remove an unused license
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, select Billing, and then Products & services.
- Select the subscription you want to change, and then select Add/remove licenses.
- Use the down arrow to reduce the number of licenses for this subscription, and then select Submit change. You now have the right number of licenses for your users.