Volume Licensing customers use the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) on the Microsoft Store for Business website.
All other customers access HUP by using this step:
- In the Microsoft admin center, go to the Billing > Your products page, select the Benefits tab, and then select the HUP tab.
What is the Microsoft Home Use Program?
The Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) allows employees at eligible companies to buy Microsoft consumer products at a discount. You can check the current discounts for each product offering by visiting the Home Use Program product page.
In which markets is the Home Use Program offered?
Discounts on Microsoft 365 Family and Personal subscriptions are offered to eligible companies worldwide with these exceptions:
- Macao, Russia and Venezuela: This offer is not available in these markets.
- China and Hong Kong: a one-year subscription is available in these markets. For China, visit Microsoft 365 in China. For Hong Kong, visit Buy Microsoft 365 at a discounted price.
- Japan: Microsoft 365 Family is not available.
- Discounts on select Surface devices and accessories are offered to eligible companies in select markets.
How does an organization qualify for HUP discounts?
For employees to take advantage of the Microsoft Home Use Program discount, they need a valid corporate email address and an active Microsoft Account, and your organization must meet one of the following criteria:
- Customers who have active Software Assurance for qualifying Office applications
- Customers who have Microsoft 365/Microsoft 365 E3/E5 From Software Assurance
- Commercial and government customers who have purchased ≥ 2,000 licenses of one or a mix of Microsoft 365 E3/E5
- Education and non-profit customers
Why do I have to create an Azure Active Directory (AAD) account to use the Home Use Program/ Microsoft Store for Business?
To update and modernize the Home Use Program to a broader range of license and product benefits, we needed to change the way we fulfill HUP. Microsoft Store for Business is used for eligibility validation and to assign HUP benefits, and for that it relies on AAD to connect information from VLSC and to validate the email domains your organization's employees are on. For more information, see To sign up for Azure AD accounts through Office 365 for Business.
How do I become the assigned IT Admin of a managed tenant?
You must create a special record in DNS to prove you own your company domain, ex:contoso.com.
For a step-by-step process for becoming a managed tenant, see Take over an unmanaged directory as administrator in Azure Active.
What resources are available to help promote the Home Use Program benefit to employees?
Use the resources located on the Home Use Program home page to help you promote the program to your employees. You'll find digital and printable flyers, verbiage for use in emails and newsletters, and guidance on how to best promote the Home Use Program.
What are the steps for an eligible employee to make a Microsoft Home Use Program purchase?
- Sign Up Go to the Microsoft Home Use Program page, and select the Get Started button. Employees enter their corporate email address.
- Confirm An email is sent to their corporate email address inbox with a link that authenticates their eligibility for the program.
- Sign In After they have been authenticated, they begin the purchase process by providing the Microsoft account that’s associated with their personal email address, which allows them to view the discounts on products available to them based on the organization’s Home Use Program benefit. For more info, see How to sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Shop The purchase is processed and completed in the Microsoft Store.
If an employee subscribes to Microsoft 365 through the Microsoft Home Use Program, how does this impact our organization’s Microsoft 365 business subscription and device limit?
Installs through the Home Use Program have no impact on your organization’s Microsoft 365 business subscription. When employees activate Microsoft 365 on their personal devices, they use their personal Microsoft account, not their work account. Your organization’s IT administrators don’t manage or support any purchases made through the Home Use Program.
I’m having trouble managing my organization’s Microsoft Home Use Program benefit. Where can I get support?
For support for issues migrating from the Volume Licensing Service Center or to access Microsoft Store for Business, see VLSC Support.
For issues viewing the benefit after you have already accessed Microsoft Store for Business, see Store for Business Admin support
Why am I not seeing an option to purchase Visio Professional 2019 and/or Project Professional 2019?
If one of your employees took advantage of the previous program and is looking for discounts on Visio Professional 2019 and/or Project Professional 2019, please go through the eligibility validation process and, once signed in with your personal Microsoft account, go to Other Office products to purchase these products. If you don't see expected discounts applied, contact your employer’s Home Use Program administrator to ask about these additional benefits.
What if my employees have questions about this program or need support with purchasing and installation?
If employees have questions, refer them to the following resources:
For help with technical issues, see Microsoft Support. You'll find help for:
- Order status
- Installing Office
- Signing in to Office
Why should my company participate in the Home Use Program?
The Home Use Program helps your company maximize the return on their Microsoft investment. Benefits to participating in the program include:
- Reducing the need for IT training
- Lowering help desk and training costs
- Allowing employees to get familiar with Microsoft 365 at home
- Increasing software proficiency, which can increase productivity
How does the Microsoft Home Use Program benefit employees?
When employees purchase Microsoft 365 products at a significant discount, they’re able to use the same software at home that they use at the office. This helps boost their productivity, improve their skills, and enhance job satisfaction.
What happens when an employee leaves the company?
For employees who qualify for the Microsoft 365 subscription offer and have purchased through the program, the discounted price applies for as long as the employee’s subscription remains active, regardless of their employment status with your organization. However, their commercial use rights end once their employment ends. For employees who qualified for Office 2019 software offers, they must uninstall Office software purchased through Home Use Program once the employee leaves the company.
Home Use Program FAQs. (article)
Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (link page)
Microsoft Store for Business Admin support (link page)
Microsoft Store for Business (link page)
Home Use Program employee store (link page)
Microsoft Licensing: Home Use Program overview (link page)