U.S. Section 508
About U.S. Section 508
The United States Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act in 1998 and 2000 to require federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology (EIT) products, such as software, hardware, electronic content, and support documentation, accessible to people with disabilities. Section 508 of the United States Workforce Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 US Code §794d), as amended, mandates that federal agencies procure, maintain, and use EIT in a manner that ensures federal employees with disabilities have comparable access to, and use of, data and EIT relative to other federal employees.
Microsoft is a major software and cloud-services provider to U.S. federal and state governments. To assist government customers in making procurement decisions, Microsoft publishes Accessibility Conformance Reports describing the extent to which our products and services support the criteria of Section 508. This information can help Microsoft customers determine whether a particular product or service will meet their specific needs.
Microsoft and U.S. Section 508
Microsoft’s consideration of U.S. Section 508 in the development of products and services points to its commitment to making technology and data accessible for all customers.
Microsoft in-scope cloud services
- Azure and Azure Government
- Azure DevOps Services
- Dynamics 365 and Dynamics 365 U.S. Government
- Office 365 and Office 365 U.S. Government
- Office 365 U.S. Government Defense
- Windows Server 2016
Microsoft accessibility conformance reports
Find conformance reports for all our products and services.
- Microsoft accessibility page: Explore the ways in which Microsoft innovates so everyone has the ability to achieve more.
- Office 365 Accessibility Center: Office 365 resources for people with disabilities.
- Enterprise Disability Answer Desk: Dedicated support for enterprise customers with accessibility questions about our products and services or compliance.
- DHS Trusted Tester Program: Get information about the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Trusted Tester Program, in which Microsoft participates.
- Compliance on the Microsoft Trust Center
Download the offering backgrounder
Do you need the backgrounder document for this offering? Download the PDF.