Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting preview
Some information relates to pre-released products which may be substantially modified before it's commercially released. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided here.
Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting (Defender Experts for Hunting) is a managed threat hunting service that can help your Security Operation Centers (SOCs) with expert level monitoring, analysis, and support to identify and respond to critical threats in your unique environment.
Watch this short video to learn more about how Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting can help you track the latest advanced threats in your environment.
Defender Experts for Hunting provides targeted attack notifications directly through the Microsoft 365 Defender portal. These notifications will help you protect your organization's endpoints, email, cloud apps, and identities. You will also receive access to Experts on Demand that lets you click a button in the Microsoft 365 Defender portal to get expert advice about threats your organization is facing. You can consult experts and seek help with the threats your organization faces. In this preview, you can try the service for free and enjoy the following capabilities:
- Threat hunting and analysis – Defender Experts for Hunting look deeper to expose advanced threats and identify the scope and impact of malicious activity associated with human adversaries or hands-on-keyboard attacks.
- Targeted attack notification – Notifications show up as incidents in Microsoft 365 Defender, helping to improve your security operations' incident response with specific information about the scope, method of entry, and remediation instructions.
- Experts on Demand – Consult a threat expert about a specific incident, nation-state actor, or attack vector.
- Hunter-trained AI – Our Defender Experts for Hunting share their learning back into the automated tools they use to improve threat discovery and prioritization.
- Reports – An interactive report summarizing what we hunted, what we found, and what we recommended.
Apply for Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting service preview
Before you apply, make sure to discuss the eligibility requirements for Defender Experts for Hunting with your Microsoft Technical Service provider and account team. The preview is filling up fast and availability is very limited. If we can't get you in, we'll reach out to you soon as Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting service is ready for general availability.
If you haven't done so yet, you can apply for Defender Experts for Hunting:
- Click Apply. Only the global administrators can register and complete the application process. If you're not a global administrator, contact your global administrator to fill out the application form.
- Enter your company email ID.
- Select Submit. You will get a confirmation message that your application has been received.
- Upon approval, you will receive an email to register.
Register to Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting service preview
You need to follow these steps to join the preview:
- In the application acceptance email that you've received, click Register. This opens the sign-in dialog box to your Microsoft 365 account.
- Ask your global administrator to register your company (the link will be provided in the email you'll get). Sign in. The Settings page opens.
- Go to Settings > Microsoft Defender Experts.
- Read the Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting preview terms and conditions. If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Microsoft Defender Experts Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click Accept, to accept the terms and conditions.
- Get your free preview in Microsoft 365 admin center. You can only place the order after you've accepted the terms and conditions. Select Get license to initiate provisioning in the admin center. This will take you to the checkout page to verify the order details. The service might become commercially available less than six months after you begin your free preview. Microsoft reserves the right to end your preview at that time.
- In the Checkout page, select Place order.
Start using your Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting service preview
Around six hours after you place your order and get confirmation, you'll receive a welcome email that says your Microsoft Defender Experts preview is set up and ready to use. Our experts will immediately start hunting for advanced threats inside your environment.
Receive targeted attack notification
The targeted attack notification capability includes:
- Threat monitoring and analysis, reducing dwell time and the risk to your business.
- Hunter-trained artificial intelligence to discover and target both known attacks and emerging threats.
- Identification of the most pertinent risks, helping SOCs maximize their effectiveness.
- Help scoping compromises and providing as much context as can be quickly delivered to enable a swift SOC response.
See the screenshot of a sample below:
Collaborate with experts on demand
You can consult with Defender Experts for Hunting directly inside the Microsoft 365 security portal for a swift and accurate threat response. Experts can provide insight to better understand the complex threats your organization may face. Consult an expert to:
- Gather additional information on alerts and incidents, including root causes and scope
- Gain clarity into suspicious devices, alerts, or incidents and get next steps if faced with an advanced attacker
- Determine risks and available protections related to threat actors, campaigns, or emerging attacker techniques
The option to Consult a threat expert is available in several places throughout the portal:
Device page actions menu
Device inventory page flyout menu
Alerts page flyout menu
Incidents page actions menu
The Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting - Experts on Demand menu option in the Device page action menu in the Microsoft 365 Defender portal
Incidents inventory page
If you would like to track the status of your Experts on Demand cases through Microsoft Services Hub, reach out to your Customer Success Account Manager. Watch this video for a quick overview of the Microsoft Services Hub.
Opt out of preview
In case you change your mind and don't want to continue with the Defender Experts for Hunting preview, you can follow the steps to cancel a self-service subscription.
Submit and view feedback for