"Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this product" error when you start an Office app
When you start a Microsoft Office 2016 or Office 2013 application, such as Outlook, Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel.
The Office application is running in compatibility mode for a different operating system.
To fix this issue, follow these steps to stop running the application in compatibility mode:
Exit the Office application that triggers this error.
Locate your Office application, depending on your installation type of Outlook and bitness of Windows and Outlook:
MSI-Based installation type:
<disk drive>\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office1x
<disk drive>\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office1x
Click-to-Run installation type:
<disk drive>\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office1x
<disk drive>\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office1x
Note The 1x placeholder represents your version of Office (16 = Office 2016, 15 = Office 2013)
Right-click the Office application that triggers the error, and then click Properties.
If the **Compatibility **tab is available, click it, and then follow these steps. If the **Compatibility **tab does not exist, go to step 5.
- On the Compatibilitytab, clear the Run this program in compatibility mode foroption.
- Click Change settings for all users.
- On the Compatibility for all userstab, clear the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Click OKtwo times.
If the **Compatibility **tab does not exist, click Cancel on the application Properties page to close it, and then follow these steps:
- Right-click Outlook.exe, and then select Troubleshoot compatibility.
- Select Troubleshoot Program.
- Clear all options, and then click Next.
- Select the No, I am done investigating the problem option, and then click Next.
- Click Close.
For more information, see Outlook is unable to start in Windows 7 or 8 .
Send feedback about: