"Cannot Remove Domain" error when you try to remove a domain from Office 365
When you try to remove a domain from Office 365 in the Office 365 portal, you receive the following error message:
Cannot Remove Domain <DomainName> can't be removed because you're using it for your SharePoint Online website. If you want to remove the domain, first change the address that you're using for SharePoint Online to a different domain.
To resolve this issue, change the domain that's used for your SharePoint Online website address, and then wait up to 24 hours. To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Office 365 portal (https://portal.office.com) as a global administrator.
- Click Admin, and then click SharePoint.
- On the Site Collections page, click to select the check box next to your public website link, and then click Rename Website.
- In the list, select <your_domain>.sharepoint.com, and then click OK.
- Wait 1 hour, and then try to remove the domain. Check back periodically. The process could take as long as 24 hours.
For more information, see You get an error message when you try to remove a domain from Office 365.
Still need help? Go to Microsoft Community.