Get started with payments in Outlook
The purpose of this guide is to walk through the process of setting up one of our sample payment services and testing some mock payment scenarios.
- An Office 365 subscription with Exchange Online. If you don't have an existing subscription, you can signup for a 25-user free trial of the Office 365 Business subscription.
- A Microsoft account (MSA) to receive the test payment request. If you don't have a Microsoft account, you can sign up for one for free.
- A Stripe connect platform account. If you don't have an account, you can sign up for one on their website.
Download a sample service
Choose on of the following sample services to get up and running quickly. Refer to the README file in your project of choice for specifics on building and running the sample.
Register your service
Once you have one of the samples running, the next step is to register the webhook URLs with the payment service so that requests get routed to the sample. Refer to the README for your sample of choice for the specific URLs to use.
Follow the instructions in the payments in Outlook partner dashboard guide to link your Stripe account and register your webhook URLs. Be sure to copy the message card payload generated by the dashboard for the next step.
If you are using a free ngrok account to run the sample locally, the URL used by ngrok changes each time you run the ngrok tool. If you stop ngrok and restart it, you will need to revisit the payments in Outlook Dashboard and update your webhook URLs.
Send the test payment request
- Go to the MessageCard Playground.
- Paste in the Message Card Payload generated by the dashboard.
- Choose Send via email.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account. You should get confirmation that the message was sent successfully.
Test the solution
Login to Outlook.com using your Microsoft account and find the message you sent from the MessageCard Playground.
Choose the Review & Pay button to open the payment pane. Your payment request webhook should receive a
Refer to the README for your sample of choice for further steps to test the payment experience.