Embed Power BI content in Microsoft Teams
You can easily embed interactive Power BI reports in Microsoft Teams channels and chats.
To use the Power BI tab in Microsoft Teams, ensure these elements:
- Microsoft Teams has the Power BI tab.
- To add a report in Microsoft Teams with the Power BI tab, you have at least a Viewer role in the workspace that hosts the report. For information about the different roles, see Roles in the new workspaces.
- To see the report in the Power BI tab in Microsoft Teams, users must have permission to view the report.
- Users must be Microsoft Teams users with access to channels and chats.
See Collaborate in Microsoft Teams with Power BI for background on how Power BI and Microsoft Teams work together, including other requirements.
Embed a report in Microsoft Teams
Follow these steps to embed your report in a Microsoft Teams channel or chat.
Open a channel or chat in Microsoft Teams, and select the + icon.
Select the Power BI tab.
Use the provided options to select a report from a workspace or a Power BI app.
The tab name updates automatically to match the name of the report name, but you can change it.
Reports you can embed on the Power BI tab
You can embed the following types of reports on the Power BI tab:
- Interactive and paginated reports.
- Reports in My workspace, new workspace experiences, and classic workspaces.
- Reports in Power BI apps.
Start a conversation
When you add a Power BI report tab to Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams automatically creates a tab conversation for the report.
Select the Show tab conversation icon in the upper-right corner.
The first comment is a link to the report. Everyone in that Microsoft Teams channel can see and discuss the report in the conversation.
Known issues and limitations
- In Microsoft Teams, when you export data from a visual in a Power BI report, it's automatically saved to your Downloads folder. It's an Excel file called "data (n).xlsx" where n is the number of times you've exported data to the same folder.
- You can't embed Power BI dashboards in the Power BI tab for Microsoft Teams.
- URL filters aren't supported with the Power BI tab for Microsoft Teams.
- In national clouds, the Power BI tab isn't available. An older version might be available that doesn't support the new workspace experience or reports in Power BI apps.
- After you save the tab, you don't change the tab name through the tab settings. Use the Rename option to change it.
- See the Known issues and limitations section of the "Collaborate in Microsoft Teams" article for other issues.
More questions? Try asking the Power BI Community.