What's new in the latest Power BI Desktop update?
April 2018 Update (2.57.5068.501)
You can now download the latest version of Power BI Desktop. If you're running Windows 10, you can also get Power BI Desktop from the Windows Store. The monthly versions are the same, regardless of which way you install Power BI Desktop. See this article for more information.
We're not fooling about how happy we are this month's updates to Power BI Desktop. We're showering the updates across a handful of areas, and hope they help you grow your future reports with amazing, beautiful visuals.
The links beside each update mean the following:
- [video] excerpts play in a new browser tab, when the feature is being discussed.
- Some features have an [article] that provides more detail.
- Most features are explained in the monthly update [blog] post.
- Lastly, some features are self-explanatory and don't need and article or video.
You can also watch the Latest Updates video from the beginning, right inside this article, by clicking on the play icon on the video image found below the list of updates.
The following updates are new to Power BI Desktop this month:
- Q&A Explorer [video] [blog]
- Buttons to trigger actions [video] [article] [blog]
- Combo chart line styles [video] [blog]
- Improved default sort for visuals [video] [blog]
- Numeric slicer now generally available [video] [blog]
- Update your linguistic schema [video] [article] [blog]
- New DAX function: COMBINEVALUES() [video] [blog]
- Organizational visuals now generally available [video] [article] [blog]
- Many new custom visuals [video] [blog]
- Adobe Analytics connector now generally available [video] [article] [blog]
- SAP HANA connector improvement: Port selection [video] [article] [blog]
- Dynamics 365 Business Central connector [video] [article] [blog]
You can also check out all the data sources available to Power BI Desktop; our list is always growing, so check back often.
Want more information about these updates? Take a look at the blog post, where you can get more detailed information about each of these new features (this is the same blog post references in the list above).
The following video describes and shows each of these updates. You can also see the video from the blog post.
Like learning about Power BI through videos and other engaging content? Check out the following collection of video sources and content.
- Power BI channel - Power BI on YouTube
- Guy in a Cube channel - fresh videos on Power BI features and capabilities
- Guided Learning for Power BI - a sequential learning tour of Power BI, in bite-size pieces
Previous months' updates
Looking for previous months' updates? You can find them in the Power BI Desktop Monthly Updates archive article.