What's new in the latest Power BI Desktop update?
August 2018 Update (2.61.5192.321)
Our August updates are august in their own right, and follow quickly on the heels of July's big releases. Hopefully you find these updates like a sunny day on the beach; so dip your toes in, we think you'll find these updates feel just right.
You can now download the latest version of Power BI Desktop. If you're running Windows 10, you can also get Power BI Desktop from the Windows Store. The monthly versions are the same, regardless of which way you install Power BI Desktop. See this article for more information.
The links beside each update mean the following:
- [video] excerpts play in a new browser tab, when the feature is being discussed.
- Some features have an [article] that provides more detail.
- Most features are explained in the monthly update [blog] post.
- Lastly, some features are self-explanatory and don't need and article or video.
You can also watch the Latest Updates video from the beginning, right inside this article, by clicking on the play icon on the video image found below the list of updates.
The following updates are new to Power BI Desktop this month:
- Export to PDF, and print your reports [video] [article] [blog]
- Create bookmark groups [video] [article] [blog]
- Theming is generally available [video] [article] [blog]
- Slicer restatement [video] [blog]
- Conditional formatting by values [video] [article] [blog]
- Python integration [video] [blog]
- Q&A improvements [video] [blog]
You can also check out all the data sources available to Power BI Desktop; our list is always growing, so check back often.
Want more information about these updates? Take a look at the blog post, where you can get more detailed information about each of these new features (this is the same blog post references in the list above).
The following video describes and shows each of these updates. You can also see the video from the blog post.
Like learning about Power BI through videos and other engaging content? Check out the following collection of video sources and content.
- Power BI channel - Power BI on YouTube
- Guy in a Cube channel - fresh videos on Power BI features and capabilities
- Guided Learning for Power BI - a sequential learning tour of Power BI, in bite-size pieces
Previous months' updates
Looking for previous months' updates? You can find them in the Power BI Desktop Monthly Updates archive article.