What's new in the latest Power BI Desktop update?
December 2018 Update (2.65.5313.501)
Our December updates quite possibly will make sugarplums dance in your head, or at least compelling data-driven visuals of said sugarplums. So gather around the fire, sip a tasty warm beverage, and unpack our December updates.
You can now download the latest version of Power BI Desktop. If you're running Windows 10, you can also get Power BI Desktop from the Windows Store. The monthly versions are the same even though the version numbering may differ between the two, regardless of which way you install Power BI Desktop. See this article for more information.
The links beside each update mean the following:
- [video] excerpts play in a new browser tab, when the feature is being discussed.
- Some features have an [article] that provides more detail.
- Most features are explained in the monthly update [blog] post.
- Lastly, some features are self-explanatory and don't need and article or video.
You can also watch the Latest Updates video from the beginning, right inside this article, by clicking on the play icon on the video image found below the list of updates.
The following updates are new to Power BI Desktop this month:
- Smart guides for aligning objects on a page [video] [article] [blog]
- ArcGIS Maps for Power BI updates [video] [article] [blog]
- Fields list accessibility support [video] [article] [blog]
- Set tab order for objects on a page [video] [article] [blog]
- Tooltips for button visuals [video] [article] [blog]
- Updated icons for Visual interactions [video] [article] [blog]
- DAX formula bar updates [video] [article] [blog]
- Data view accessibility support [video] [article] [blog]
- High contrast support for all panes and report footer [video] [article] [blog]
- Updated keyboard shortcut dialog [video] [article] [blog]
You can also check out all the data sources available to Power BI Desktop; our list is always growing, so check back often.
Want more information about these updates? Take a look at the blog post, where you can get more detailed information about each of these new features (this is the same blog post references in the list above).
The following video channel describes and shows each of these updates. You can also see the videos from the blog post.
Like learning about Power BI through videos and other engaging content? Check out the following collection of video sources and content.
- Power BI channel - Power BI on YouTube
- Guy in a Cube channel - fresh videos on Power BI features and capabilities
- Guided Learning for Power BI - a sequential learning tour of Power BI, in bite-size pieces
Previous months' updates
Looking for previous months' updates? You can find them in the Power BI Desktop Monthly Updates archive article.