Connect to Application Insights with Power BI
Use Power BI to create powerful custom dashboards from Application Insights telemetry. Envision your app telemetry in new ways. Combine metrics from multiple apps or component services onto one dashboard. This first release of the Power BI content pack for Application Insights includes widgets for common usage-related metrics such as active users, page view, sessions, browser and OS version, and geographic distribution of users in a map.
Connect to the Application Insights content pack for Power BI.
Access to the Application Insights overview blade for your application in the Azure Preview Portal is required to connect. More details on requirements below.
How to connect
Select Get Data at the bottom of the left navigation pane.
In the Services box, select Get.
Select Application Insights > Get.
Provide the details of the application you want to connect to, including Application Insights Resource Name, Resource Group, and Subscription ID. See Finding your Application Insights parameters below for more details.
Select Sign In and follow the screens to connect.
The import process begins automatically. When complete, a notification is shown and a new dashboard, report, and dataset appear in the Navigation Pane marked with an asterisk. Select the dashboard to view your imported data.
- Try asking a question in the Q&A box at the top of the dashboard
- Change the tiles in the dashboard.
- Select a tile to open the underlying report.
- While your dataset will be schedule to refreshed daily, you can change the refresh schedule or try refreshing it on demand using Refresh Now
The Application Insights content pack includes the following tables and metrics:
- ApplicationDetails - UniqueUsersLast7Days - UniqueUsersLast30Days - UniqueUsersDailyLast30Days - UniqueUsersByCountryLast7Days - UniqueUsersByCountryLast30Days - PageViewsDailyLast30Days - SessionsLast7Days - SessionsLast30Days - PageViewsByBrowserVersionDailyLast30Days - UniqueUsersByOperatingSystemLast7Days - UniqueUsersByOperatingSystemLast30Days - SessionsDailyLast30Days - SessionsByCountryLast7Days - SessionsByCountryLast30Days - PageViewsByCountryDailyLast30Days
Your Resource Name, Resource Group and Subscription ID can all be found in the Azure Portal. Selecting the Name will open a detailed view and you can use the Essentials drop-down to find all the values you need.
Copy and paste these into the fields into Power BI: