Connect to Xero with Power BI
Xero is easy to use online accounting software that’s designed specifically for small businesses. Create compelling visualizations based on your Xero financials with this Power BI template app. Your default dashboard includes many small business metrics like cash position, revenue vs. expenses, profit loss trend, debtor days, and return on investment.
How to connect
Select Apps in the nav pane > select Get apps in the upper-right corner.
In AppSource, select the Apps tab, and search for the service you want.
Select Xero > Get it now.
In Install this Power BI app? select Install.
In the Apps pane, select the Xero tile.
In Get started with your new app, select Connect.
Enter a nickname for the organization associated with your Xero account. Anything will do, it's mostly to help users with multiple Xero organizations keep them all straight. See details on finding parameters later in this article.
For Authentication Method, select OAuth. When prompted sign into your Xero account and select the organization to connect to. Once sign-in is complete, select Sign In to start the loading process.
After approving, the import process will begin automatically. When complete, a new dashboard, report, and model will appear in the nav pane. Select the dashboard to view your imported data.
- Try asking a question in the Q&A box at the top of the dashboard
- Change the tiles in the dashboard.
- Select a tile to open the underlying report.
- While your dataset will be scheduled to refresh daily, you can change the refresh schedule or try refreshing it on demand using Refresh Now
The template app dashboard includes tiles and metrics that cover a variety of areas, with corresponding reports to learn more:
|Cash||Daily cash flow
Closing balance by account
Closing balance today
Invoiced sales by customer
Invoiced sales growth trend
Billed purchases by supplier
Billed purchases growth trend
|Inventory||Monthly sales amount by product||Inventory|
|Profit and loss||Monthly profit and loss
Net profit this fiscal year
Net profit this month
Top expense accounts
|Profit and Loss|
|Balance sheet||Total assets
Gross profit percentage
Return on total assets
Total liabilities to equity ratio
Glossary and Technical Notes
The dataset also includes the following tables to customize your reports and dashboards:
- Bank Statement Daily Balance
- Bank Statements
- Expense Claims
- Invoice Line Items
- Month End
- Trial Balance
- Xero Accounts
The following roles are required to access the Xero template app: "Standard + Reports" or "Advisor".
Provide a name for your organization to track in Power BI. A specific name allows you to connect to multiple different organizations. You can't connect to the same organization multiple times, as it will affect the scheduled refresh.
- Xero users must have the following roles to access the Xero template app for Power BI: "Standard + Reports" or "Advisor". The template app relies on the user-based permissions to access reporting data through Power BI.
- If you receive a failure after loading for some time, verify how long it took to see that error message. The access token provided by Xero is only valid for 30 minutes, so accounts with more data than can be loaded in that time frame will fail. We're actively working to improve this limitation.
- During the load, the tiles on the dashboard are in a generic loading state. They stay that way until the full load completes. If you receive a notification that your load completed but the tiles are still loading, try refreshing the dashboard tiles using the ... in the top right of your dashboard.
- If your template app fails to refresh, check if you have connected to the same organization more than once in Power BI. Xero only allows a single active connection to an organization and you may see an error indicating your credentials are invalid if you connect to the same one more than once.
- For issues connecting the Xero template app for Power BI, like error messages or slow load times, first clear the cache / cookies and restart the browser, then reconnect to Power BI.
For other issues, file a ticket at https://support.powerbi.com if the issue persists.