Starting to Develop Custom Connectors
To get you up to speed with Power Query, we've listed some of the most common questions on this page.
What software do I need to get started with the Power Query SDK?
You need to install the Power Query SDK in addition to Visual Studio. To be able to test your connectors we suggest that you also have Power BI installed.
What can you do with a Connector?
Data Connectors allow you to create new data sources or customize and extend an existing source. Common use cases include:
- Creating a business analyst-friendly view for a REST API
- Providing branding for a source that Power Query supports with an existing connector (such as an OData service or ODBC driver)
- Implementing OAuth v2 authentication flow for a SaaS offering
- Exposing a limited or filtered view over your data source to improve usability
- Enabling DirectQuery for a data source via ODBC driver
Data Connectors are currently only supported in Power BI Desktop.