Sample: Quick start for XRM Tooling API
The QuickStart sample is a .NET Framework managed code sample that shows how to connect to a Common Data Service instance by using the XRM Tooling APIs, and perform basic create, update, retrieve, and delete operations on an entity. For more information about XRM Tooling, see Build windows client applications using the XRM tools.
Download the sample: Work with XRM Tooling API
How to run the sample
- Download and extract the sample from here.
- Open the
Quick start for XRM Tooling\C#\QuickStartXRMToolingWPFClient.slnfile in Visual Studio.
- Press F5 to compile and run the program.
- The sample code is built using the WPF Application for CRM SDK template that provides a common login control with built-in support for authentication and credential caching and reuse. For more information about the common login control and how to use the SDK template in Visual Studio, see Use the XRM Tooling common login control.
- No helper code is used to establish a connection to Common Data Service.
- After connecting to Common Data Service, the sample performs basic create, update, retrieve, and delete operations on an account entity.
- Stores user credentials in a configuration file (
Default_QuickStartXRMToolingWPFClient.exe.config) in the
\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\QuickStartXRMToolingWPFClientfolder when the sample is run for the first time, and thereafter prompts the user to either use the stored or specify new credentials at runtime to sign in to Common Data Service.
- Generates the following log files, if any issue occurs, to aid troubleshooting:
- Login_ErrorLog.log: To report sign-in errors. This file is available at
- QuickStartXRMToolingWPFClient.log: To report operational errors. This file is available at the same location as the executable, that is in the debug folder of your Visual Studio project.
Send feedback about: