Sample: Add a security principal (user or team) to a queue
This sample showcases how to give a user or a team access to a queue. The AddPrincipalToQueueRequest adds the specified principal to the list of queue members. If the passed-in security principal is a team each member of the team is added to the queue. You can download the sample from here.
Unsure about entity vs. table? See Developers: Understand terminology in Microsoft Dataverse.
How to run this sample
- Download or clone the Samples repo so that you have a local copy.
- (Optional) Edit the cds/App.config file to define a connection string specifying the Microsoft Dataverse instance you want to connect to.
- Open the sample solution in Visual Studio and press F5 to run the sample. After you specify a connection string in cds/App.config, any sample you run will use that connection information.
If you do not specify a connection string in cds/App.config file, a dialog will open each time you run the sample and you will need to enter information about which Dataverse instance you want to connect to and which credentials you want to use. This dialog will cache previous connections so that you can choose a previously used connection.
Those samples in this repo that require a connection to a Dataverse instance to run will include a linked reference to the cds/App.config file.
What this sample does
AddPrincipalToQueueRequest message is intended to be used in a scenario where it contains data that is needed to add the specified principal to the list of queue members. If the principal is a team, add each team member to the queue.
How this sample works
In order to simulate the scenario described in What this sample does, the sample will do the following:
- Checks for the current version of the org.
Queuemethod creates a queue instance and set its property values. The returned GUIDs are stored in a variable.
QueryExpressionretrieves the default business unit for the creation of the team and role.
- Creates a new example team and role required for the sample.
- Retrieves the
AddPrivilegeRoleRequestmethod adds the
prvAppendToQueueprivileges to the example role.
AddPrincipalToQueueRequest method adds the team to the queue.
Display an option to delete the sample data in Setup. The deletion is optional in case you want to examine the tables and data created by the sample. You can manually delete the records to achieve the same result.