Overview of creating apps in PowerApps
PowerApps is a high-productivity development platform for business apps, and it has three major components:
- Canvas apps start with your user experience, crafting a highly tailored interface with the power of a blank canvas and connecting it to your choice of 200 data sources. You can build canvas apps for web, mobile, and tablet applications.
- Model-driven apps start with your data model – building up from the shape of your core business data and processes in the Common Data Service to model forms, views, and other components. Model-driven apps automatically generate great UI that is responsive across devices.
- Common Data Service is the data platform that comes with PowerApps and allows you to store and model business data. It's the platform on which Dynamics 365 applications are built; if you’re a Dynamics customer, your data is already in the Common Data Service.
It's easy and simple to try building out your first app. We have a 30-day trial plan and a free community plan; find out which one is best for you and get started.
Canvas apps give you the flexibility to arrange the user experience and interface the way you want it. Allow your creativity and business sense to guide how you want your apps to look and feel.
You can start to build your app from Microsoft tools where your data lives, such as:
Creating a canvas app is easy; with PowerApps, you can find or create your app in several ways:
When you create a model-driven app, you can use all of the power of the Common Data Service to rapidly configure your forms, business rules, and process flows. You create a model-driven app from the PowerApps site.
Getting started with model-driven apps is simple, and you can begin with these topics:
- Create an app
- Create and design forms
- Create or edit views
- Create or edit a system chart
- Create or edit dashboards
- Add security
- Add business logic
Common Data Service
The Common Data Service allows you to securely store and manage data within a set of standard and custom entities, and you can add fields to those entities when you need them.
Getting started with the Common Data Service is easy. For example, you can start with these items:
Canvas and model-driven artifacts
While we merge the experiences of canvas and model-driven apps, these artifacts will be relevant for either canvas apps or model-driven apps.
|Entity > Views||Model-driven|
|Entity > Forms||Model-driven|
|Entity > Dashboards||Model-driven|
|Apps > Import||Canvas|
After you build your app, you can share it with your team members.
Send feedback about: