Use a connection reference in a solution
[This topic is pre-release documentation and is subject to change.]
A connection is a proxy or a wrapper around an API that allows the underlying service to talk to Microsoft Power Automate, Microsoft Power Apps, and Azure Logic Apps. It provides a way for users to connect their accounts and use a set of pre-built actions and triggers to build their apps and workflows.
A connection reference is a solution component that contains information about a connector. Both canvas app and operations within a Power Automate flow bind to a connection reference. You can import your connection reference into a target environment with no further configuration needed after the import completes. To change a specific connection associated with a canvas app or flow, you edit the connection reference component within the solution.
You can add a connection reference to a solution in a few different ways:
- From the Solutions area as described in this article.
- During solution import. More information: Import solutions
- When you build your canvas apps and flows in a solution.
- Canvas apps and flows handle connections differently. Flows use connection references for all connectors, whereas canvas apps only use them for implicitly shared connections, such as SQL Server. More information: Security and types of authentication
- A connection reference is automatically created when you create new connections from the flow and canvas app designers.
- Sign in to Power Apps, and on the left pane select Solutions.
- Create a new or open an existing solution.
- On the command bar select New, and then in the list of components select Connection Reference.
- On the New Connection Reference pane, enter the following information. Required columns are denoted with an asterisk (*).
- Display name: Enter a friendly name to help differentiate this connection reference from others.
- Description: Enter text that describes the connection.
- Connector: Choose from the following options:
- Select an existing connector from the list.
- Select New to create a new connection to use for this connection reference. Once your finished creating the connection, select Refresh to select your new connection from the list.
- Select Create.
While connection references are in preview, one connection reference can only be used within a maximum of 16 flows. If the same connection needs to be used in more than 16 flows, then create another connection reference with a connection to the same connector. There is no limit to the number of actions in each flow that can be associated with the connection reference.