Create one-to-many or many-to-one table relationships overview
Effective November 2020:
- Common Data Service has been renamed to Microsoft Dataverse. Learn more
- Some terminology in Microsoft Dataverse has been updated. For example, entity is now table and field is now column. Learn more
This article will be updated soon to reflect the latest terminology.
In Microsoft Dataverse 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) relationships define how two tables are related to each other.
Before you create a custom table relationship, evaluate whether using an existing table relationship would meet your requirements.
More information: Create new metadata or use existing metadata?
There are two designers you can use to create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) relationships:
|Power Apps portal||Provides an easy streamlined experience, but some special settings are not available.
More information: Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships in Power Apps portal
|Solution explorer||Not as easy, but provides for more flexibility for less common requirements.
More information: Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships using solution explorer
You can also create new table relationship in your environment using the following:
- In model-driven apps, select New Column from the form editor and create a Lookup column.
More information: Add a column to a form
- Create a new Lookup column for the related table.
More information: Create and edit columns
- Import a solution that contains the definition of the table relationship.
More information: Import, update, and export solutions
- Use Power Query to create new tables and fill them with data.
More information: Add data to a table in Dataverse by using Power Query.
- A developer can use Metadata services to write a program to create and update table relationships.
More information: Customize table relationship metadata
Information in this topic will help you choose which designer you can use.
You should use the Power Apps portal to create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships unless you need to address any of the following requirements:
- Configure column mappings
- Configure navigation pane options for model-driven app
- Configure relationship behaviors
- Define whether the relationship is hidden in advanced find.
- Make a Hierarchical relationship
The community tools are not a product of Microsoft and does not extend support to the community tools. If you have questions pertaining to the tool, please contact the publisher. More Information: XrmToolBox.
Create and edit relationships between tables
Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships in Power Apps portal
Create and edit 1:N (one-to-many) or N:1 (many-to-one) table relationships using solution explorer
Developer documentation: Customize table relationship metadata
Developer documentation: table relationship eligibility