Tutorial: Share a model-driven app with PowerApps
PowerApps apps use role-based security for sharing. The fundamental concept in role-based security is that a security role contains privileges that define a set of actions that can be performed within the app. All app users must be assigned to one or more predefined or custom roles. Or, roles can also be assigned to teams. When a user or team is assigned to one of these roles, the person or team members are granted the set of privileges associated with that role.
In this tutorial you perform the tasks for sharing a model-driven app so that others can use it. You learn how to:
- Create a custom security role
- Assign users to the custom security role
- Assign the security role to an app
To share an app you must have the PowerApps Environment Admin or System Admin role.
Sign in to PowerApps
Sign in to PowerApps. If you don’t already have a PowerApps account, select the Get started free link.
Share an app
The tutorial will follow the company, Contoso, which has a pet grooming business that services dogs and cats. An app that contains a custom entity for tracking the pet grooming business has already been created and published. Now the app must be shared so that the pet grooming staff can use it. To share the app, an administrator or app maker assigns one or more security roles to users and to the app.
Create or configure a security role
The PowerApps environment includes predefined security roles that reflect common user tasks with access levels defined to match the security best-practice goal of providing access to the minimum amount of business data required to use the app. Remember that the Contoso pet grooming app is based on a custom entity. Because the entity is custom, privileges must be explicitly specified before users may work in it. To do this, you can choose to do one of the following.
- Expand an existing predefined security role, so that it includes privileges on records based on the custom entity.
- Create a custom security role for the purpose of managing privileges for users of the app.
Because the environment that will maintain the pet grooming records is also used for other apps that the Contoso business runs, a custom security role specific to the pet grooming app will be created. Additionally, two different sets of access privileges are required.
- Pet grooming technicians only need to read, update, and attach other records so their security role will have read, write, and append privileges.
- Pet grooming schedulers need all the privileges that pet grooming technicians have, plus the ability to create, append to, delete, and share, so their security role will have create, read, write, append, delete, assign, append to, and share privileges.
For more information about access and scope privileges, see Security roles.
Create a custom security role
On the PowerApps site, select Apps > …> Share link.
From the Share this app dialog, under Create a security role select Security Setting.
On the Settings page, select New.
From the security role designer, you select the actions, such as read, write, or delete, and the scope for performing that action. Scope determines how deep or high within the environments hierarchy the user can perform a particular action. In the Role Name box enter Pet Grooming Technicians.
Select the Custom Entities tab, and then locate the custom entity that you want. For this example, the custom entity named Pet is used.
On the Pet row, select each of the following privileges four times until organization scope global has been selected: Read, Write, Append
7. Because the pet grooming app also has a relationship with the account entity, select the Core Records tab, and on the Account row select Read four times until organization scope global has been selected. 8. Select Save and Close. 9. On the security role designer, in the Role Name box enter Pet Grooming Schedulers. 10. Select the Custom Entities tab, and then locate the Pet entity. 11. On the Pet row, select each of the following privileges four times until organization scope global has been selected: Create, Read, Write, Delete, Append, Append To, Assign, Share 12. Because the pet grooming app also has a relationship with the account entity and schedulers must be able to create and modify account records, select the Core Records tab, and on the Account row select each of the following privileges four times until organization scope global has been selected. Create, Read, Write, Delete, Append, Append To, Assign, Share 13. Select Save and Close.
Assign security roles to users
Security roles control a user’s access to data through a set of access levels and permissions. The combination of access levels and permissions that are included in a specific security role sets limits on the user’s view of data and on the user’s interactions with that data.
Assign a security role to Pet Grooming Technicians
From the Share this app dialog, under Assign users to the security role select Security Users.
In the list that is displayed, select the pet groomers.
Select Manage Roles.
In the Manage User Roles dialog box, select the Pet Grooming Technicians security role that you created earlier, and then select OK.
Assign a security role to Pet Grooming Schedulers
- From the Share this app dialog, under Assign users to a security role select Security Users.
- In the list that is displayed, select the pet grooming schedulers.
- Select Manage Roles.
- In the Manage User Roles dialog box, select the Pet Grooming Schedulers security role that you created earlier, and then select OK.
Add security roles to the app
Next, one or more security roles need to be assigned to the app. Users will have access to apps based on the security roles they're assigned to.
From the Share this app dialog box, under Add the security role to your app select My Apps.
In the lower-right corner of the app tile of the Contoso Pet Grooming app, select More options (...), and then select Manage Roles.
In the Roles section, you can choose whether to give app access to all security roles or selected roles. Select the Pet Grooming Schedulers and Pet Grooming Technicians roles you created earlier.
Share the link to your app
From the Share this app dialog box, under Share the link to your app directly with users copy the URL that is displayed.
Paste the app URL in a location so that your users can access it, such as by posting it on a SharePoint site or send via email.
You can also find the app URL on the Properties tab in app designer.
About predefined security roles
These predefined roles are available with a PowerApps environment.
|Environment Maker||None||Can create new resources associated with an environment including apps, connections, custom APIs, gateways, and flows using Microsoft Flow. However, does not have any privileges to access data within an environment. More information: Environments overview|
|System Administrator||Create, Read, Write, Delete, Customizations, Security Roles||Has full permission to customize or administer the environment, including creating, modifying, and assigning security roles. Can view all data in the environment. More information: Privileges required for customization|
|System Customizer||Create (self), Read (self), Write (self), Delete (self), Customizations||Has full permission to customize the environment. However, can only view records for environment entities that they create. More information: Privileges required for customization|
|Common Data Service User||Read, Create (self), write (self), delete (self)||Can run an app within the environment and perform common tasks for the records that they own.|
|Delegate||Act on behalf of another user||Allows code to run as another user or impersonate. Typically used with another security role to allow access to records. More information: Impersonate another user|
*Privilege is global scope unless specified otherwise.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.