Creating and Updating Version-controlled Database Schemas
To put your database definition under version control, you need an offline representation of that database. In Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals, that offline representation is the database project. The topics in this section provide you with information about database projects and how you work with them and their contents.
In This Section
- An Overview of Database Creation and Deployment in a Team Environment
Provides background information about how you create, update, and deploy a version-controlled database schema.
- How to: Specify the Local Instance of SQL Server to use for Design-time Validation
Describes how to specify the instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 that you want to use for design-time validation.
- An Overview of Database Projects
Provides background information that relates to database projects.
- Getting Started with Database Projects
Contains topics that describe how you create the database project for a new or existing version-controlled database. This process includes importing a schema from an existing database or script into a database project.
- Modifying Database Projects
Contains topics that describe how you open and work with an existing database project. This process includes importing schema updates from an existing database into a database project.
- Building and Deploying Version-controlled Databases
Contains topics that describe how you build and deploy changes to a new or existing database schema that is under version control.
- Working with Database Objects
Provides an overview and links to topics that describe how you create, modify, and validate changes to database objects such as tables, stored procedures, and functions.
- Working with Database Scripts
Contains topics that describe how you create and maintain scripts for deploying database schemas and managing databases.
- Working with Database Projects in a Team Environment
Contains topics that describe how you add your database project to version control and deploy an older version of your version-controlled database.
- Walkthroughs (Creating and Updating Version-controlled Databases)
Contains walkthroughs that introduce you to creating and deploying a version-controlled database, putting an existing database under version control, modifying database objects, and deploying changes to an existing database that is under version control.
- Troubleshooting Database Project, Build, and Deployment Issues
Provides help for diagnosing and correcting problems that relate to your database project, as well as problems with building and deploying your version-controlled database.
- Terminology Overview of Team Edition for Database Professionals
Provides definitions of terms that are specific to Team Edition for Database Professionals and contains a link to definitions for terms that relate to Visual Studio Team System.