Working in the cloud is becoming a major initiative for application development departments. Windows Azure is Microsoft's cloud incorporating data and services. This lab will guide the reader through a series of exercises that creates a Silverlight Web Part that displays Windows Azure Marketplace data on a Silverlight Bing map control.
Working in the cloud is becoming a major initiative for application development departments. Windows Azure is Microsoft’s cloud incorporating data and services. This lab will guide the reader through a series of exercises that creates a Silverlight Web Part that displays Windows Azure Marketplace data on a Silverlight Bing map control.
This lab will demonstrate how you can consume Windows Azure data using SharePoint 2010 and a Silverlight Web Part. To demonstrate connecting to Windows Azure data the reader will
- Subscribe to a Microsoft Windows Azure Marketplace dataset
- Create a Business Data Catalog model to access the dataset
- Create an external list to expose the dataset
- Create a Silverlight Web Part to display the data
- Deploy the Web Part.
You must have the following items to complete this lab:
- 2010 Information Worker Demonstration and Evaluation Virtual Machine
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
- Bing Silverlight Map control and Bing Map Developer Id
- Silverlight WebPart
- Internet Access
You must perform the following steps to prepare your computer for this lab...
- Download the 2010 Information Worker Demonstration and Evaluation Virtual Machine from http://tinyurl.com/2avoc4b and create the Hyper-V image.
- Install the Visual Studio 2010 Silverlight Web Part. The Silverlight Web Part is an add-on to Visual Studio 2010.
- Create a document library named SilverlightXaps located at http://intranet.contoso.com/silverlightxaps. This is where you will store the Silverlight Xap in SharePoint.
- Create a Bing Map Developer Account.
- Download and install the Bing Map Silverlight Control.
This Hands-On Lab comprises the following exercises:
- Subscribe to a Microsoft Windows Azure MarketPlace Dataset
- Create a Business Data Catalog Model to Access the Dataset
- Create an External List to Consume the MarketPlace Dataset
- Create a Web Part to Display the MarketPlace Data
- Deploy the Web Part
Estimated time to complete this lab: 60 minutes.
This Hands-On Lab includes the following starting materials.
- Visual Studio solutions. The lab provides the following Visual Studio solutions that you can use as starting point for the exercises.
- <Install>\Labs\ACDM\Source\Begin\TheftStatisticsBDCModel \TheftStatisticsBDCModel.sln: This solution creates the Business Data Catalog application.
- <Install>\Labs\ACDM\Source\Begin\TheftStatisticsWebPart \TheftStatisticsWebPart.sln: This solution creates the Silverlight Web Part and Silvelright application that will consume data using an external list.
Inside each lab folder, you will find an end folder containing a solution with the completed lab exercise.