Creating a Web publishing rule
Applies To: Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG)
In Forefront TMG, Web sites are published by Web publishing rules, which are created by running a wizard. Each wizard that creates a Web publishing rule sets specific properties for the applicable scenario that cannot be configured in Forefront TMG Management.
For detailed instructions for creating Web publishing rules for specific scenarios, see the applicable procedure in a topic from the following list:
The following general procedure includes the steps for creating a Web publishing rule.
To create a Web publishing rule
In the Forefront TMG Management console, in the tree, click the Firewall Policy node.
On the Tasks tab, click Publish Web Sites.
In the New Web Publishing Rule Wizard, follow the on-screen instructions.
In the details pane, click the Apply button to save and update the configuration, and then click OK.
- For more information about Web publishing, see Planning for publishing.
- For a single Web site published on a single Web server, on the Internal Publishing Details page of the wizard, for the internal site name, type the host name that Forefront TMG will use in HTTP request messages sent to the published server. If the internal site name specified in this field is not resolvable or is not the computer name or IP address of the published server, select Use a computer name or IP address to connect to the published server, and then type the resolvable computer name or IP address of the published server. For information about configuring the internal site name in other scenarios, see the applicable detailed procedure.
- Web publishing rules match incoming client requests to the appropriate Web site on the Web server.
- You can create Web publishing rules that deny traffic to block incoming traffic that matches the rule conditions.
- Forefront TMG does not treat paths as case-sensitive. For example, if your Web server includes both foldera and folderA, and you publish a path to one of the folders, both folders will be published.