I build for desktop
Proven technologies and industry-leading tools
- Windows is the most widely used operating system in the world. Your desktop apps can reach over a billion Windows users worldwide with Windows and Windows Server.
- Use the industry’s best IDE and SDK to create your next great app for the Windows desktop. Download Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and the latest Windows SDK now for free and start building! In the Windows dev center you’ll find great resources to get you started.
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is a key part of the .NET Framework and one of the most popular technologies for building Windows desktop apps allowing rich UI, engaging media, and documents. Start designing your desktop app using WPF. To see a list of new features and changes in the .NET Framework 4.5.1, see what's new.
- Did you know you can also list your desktop app in the Windows Store? Learn how.
Build great productivity and business apps
- Microsoft provides an array of different technologies to build apps for the Windows desktop, giving developers a range of options to achieve their vision. Developers can take advantage of the productivity of languages like C#, VB, or F# or build higher performance apps and games with C++. Using Visual Studio, developers can combine these to get the best of both worlds. Use established API libraries like the .NET Framework, Win32, or DirectX with Visual Studio 2013 to build connected productivity apps, games, and line of business apps with security in mind. And you can easily connect your desktop apps to the cloud using Windows Azure Mobile Services.
- Windows desktop apps run on a range of devices from touch and pen-centered tablets to high-resolution displays, desktop PCs and embedded devices. Learn what’s new for desktop development in Windows 8.1.
- The Windows platform is unrivaled for its range of choices, power, and versatility. Learn how to start building great apps for Windows with C++ or the .NET Framework today.
Build the best games for the best hardware
- Create your most advanced game yet using the power of DirectX 11.2 with Windows. Take advantage of the most powerful GPUs, displays, and
device hardware using Windows desktop APIs and features.
- Use Visual Studio 2013 to make full use of the robust graphics platform and features of Windows. New tools let you inspect each pixel and debug complex graphics code more easily than ever.
Get StartedFind out what’s new in Windows desktop development.Start buildingReady to go? Grab the latest SDKs, resources, tools, and more.Start learningClass is in. Microsoft Virtual Academy offers free online courses.Get your desktop app compatibleFollow these steps to get your desktop app compatible and certified for Windows 8.1.Developing games for WindowsLearn about porting your game and preparing a game for the Windows Store.Harness the power of Windows AzureUse the power of Windows Azure to access data storage and cloud servers.View moreWindows for your Business Blog
Find out the latest, get resources, and more.
Power up your desktop app with Windows 8.1Delight users of your desktop apps by taking advantage of platform advances in rich animations, touch, and high-DPI displays.