Build the Plug-in Registration Tool
[Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0]
Find the latest SDK documentation: CRM 2015 SDK
This walkthrough shows you how to build the plug-in registration tool that is provided in the SDK and to add it as an external tool to Microsoft Visual Studio. This tool is a GUI based .NET Framework application.
To complete this walkthrough, and build the sample directly on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server, you will need the following:
- Visual Studio 2008 or Visual C# Express.
- Access to the tool's source code in the SDK\Tools\PluginRegistration folder of the SDK installation.
- Network access to a Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server.
- A Microsoft Dynamics CRM system account.
- Access to the SDK\Bin folder.
Build the Visual Studio Solution
Open the SDK\Tools\PluginRegistration folder and double-click the PluginRegistrationTool.sln file to open the solution in Visual Studio.
In Solution Explorer, right-click the project name, PluginRegistration, and then click Add Web Reference.
Enter the URL for the CrmService Web service in the form:
Use the appropriate server name and TCP port for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM server.
Enter a Web reference name of CrmSdk and click Add Reference.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the CrmDiscoveryService Web service. Use a URL of http://<server:port>/mscrmservices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx and name the Web reference CrmSdk.Discovery.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the MetadataService Web service. Use a URL of http://<server:port>/mscrmservices/2007/MetadataService.asmx and name the Web reference MetadataServiceSdk.
Compile the project by clicking Build, and then Build Solution. The executable file can be found in the bin\Debug folder of the project.
If you are building and running the tool on a computer that is not a Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server, copy the Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.dll assembly from the SDK\Bin folder to the project's bin\Debug folder. The tool requires access to the Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.dll assembly in order to run.
Add the Tool to Visual Studio
You can register the Plug-in Registration Tool as an External Tool for Visual Studio.
- Open Visual Studio.
- Click on Tools | External Tools and then click on the Add button. If you have not yet added any tools, click on [New Tool 1].
- In the Title field, type CRM Plug-in Registration Tool.
- In the Command field, click the ellipsis button (…) and navigate to the bin\Debug\PluginRegistration.exe file that you built in the previous task. Click Open.
- Click OK.
You have now added the plug-in registration tool to the Visual Studio Tools menu.