Change the Default Public Folder Database for a Mailbox Database
Applies to: Exchange Server 2010
Each mailbox database is configured with a default public folder database. MAPI client applications, such as Microsoft Outlook, open a connection to the default public folder database and perform all hierarchy-based operations against the server that contains that database. These operations include viewing public folders, creating and deleting public folders, and querying for the location of public folder content.
Looking for other management tasks related to public folders? Check out Managing Public Folders.
Use the EMC to change the default public folder database for a mailbox database
You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this procedure. To see what permissions you need, see the "Mailbox databases" entry in the Mailbox Permissions topic.
- In the console tree, navigate to Organization Configuration > Mailbox.
- In the result pane, select the mailbox database for which you want to change the default public folder database.
- In the action pane, under the mailbox database name, click Properties.
- In <Mailbox Database Name> Properties, click the Client Settings tab.
- Next to the Default public folder database box, click Browse.
- In Select Public Folder Database, select the public folder database from the list of public folder databases, and then click OK.
- Click OK.
Use the Shell to change the default public folder database for a mailbox database
You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this procedure. To see what permissions you need, see the "Mailbox database" entry in the Mailbox Permissions topic.
This example sets the public folder database PublicFolderDB1 as the default public folder database for the mailbox database Mailbox Database.
Set-MailboxDatabase -Identity "Mailbox Database" -PublicFolderDatabase "PublicFolderDB1"
For detailed syntax and parameter information, see Set-MailboxDatabase.