Change Your Account Password
Applies to: Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, Office 365 for enterprises, Live@edu
You can change the password for your account using the Options page.
How do I change my password?
The steps to change your password depend on the service you're using. For more information, see “What else do I need to know?” at the end of this topic.
- In Outlook Web App, click Options > Change Your Password. If you don't see the option to change your password directly under Options, click Options > See All Options, then click Change your password. The next steps will vary depending on the service you use to access your account.
- Follow the instructions on the change password page.
If you also connect to your account from your mobile device, after you update the password for your account, you also need to update the password in the settings on that device to match your new password. Similarly, you also need update the password in the settings of any other desktop e-mail application you may be using (for example, Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, or Windows Live Mail).
What else do I need to know?
- If you’re an Office 365 user, you can also change your password from the Office 365 portal. For more information, see Change your password for Office 365 for enterprises or Change your password for Office 365 for professionals and small businesses.
- Depending on your mailbox settings, you may not be able change your password using the Options page. This could happen if your mailbox is managed by a school or a business.
For example, if you’re an Office 365 for Enterprises user who uses the same credentials (that is, username and password) to sign in to both your organization’s computer network and the Office 365 portal, you’ll be prompted to change your password periodically when you log on to your organization’s computer network. When you change the password you use to log on to your organization’s network, the new password is used in the Office 365 environment. In that case, after you change the password you use to log on to your organization’s computer network, you’ll then need to update the password on your mobile device settings and desktop e-mail program settings to match the one you now use to log on to your organization’s computer network.
If you can't change your password using Options, contact your helpdesk.
- For more information about passwords, see Password Guidelines.