Set Up POP or IMAP E-Mail on an Android Mobile Phone
Applies to: Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, Office 365 for enterprises, Microsoft Exchange, Live@edu
You can set up POP or IMAP e-mail on an Android mobile phone or other Android device.
POP or IMAP accounts can be used to send and receive e-mail. If you want to set up e-mail, calendar, and contacts on your device, we recommend that you set up an Exchange account instead of a POP or IMAP account. For Exchange account setup instructions, see Set Up Exchange E-Mail on an Android Mobile Phone.
If you have another device, see Mobile Phone Setup Reference.
How do I set up POP or IMAP E-mail on an Android Device?
- From the home screen, tap Applications > Settings > Accounts & sync > Add account > Manual setup.
- On the Incoming settings screen, in the Protocol drop-down menu, select IMAP or POP3. We suggest you select IMAP because it supports more features.
- In the Email address and Username text boxes, enter your full e-mail address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, and then select Next. Your user name is the same as your e-mail address.
- In the Password text box, enter your password.
- In the IMAP server or POP3 server text box, enter your IMAP or POP server name. For information about how to look up the server settings you need to complete this step and other steps in this procedure, see “How do I find the server settings” later in this topic.
- In the Security type drop-down menu and Server port text boxes, specify the POP or IMAP settings that you looked up in step 5, and then tap Next. Your e-mail application will check your IMAP or POP settings.
- On the Outgoing server settings screen, the Login required option should be selected for you, and the Username and Password text boxes should be filled in.
- In the SMTP server text box, enter the SMTP server name you looked up in step 5.
- In the Security type drop down menu and Server port text box, specify the SMTP settings that you located in step 5, and click Next.
- In the Account name, text box, enter a name your account (for example “Office 365 email” or “Work email). In the Your name text box, enter the name you want displayed when you send e-mail to others (for example “Tony Smith”), and then select Finish Setup.
How do I find the server settings?
Before you set up a POP3 or IMAP4 e-mail program, you need to look up your own POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP server settings.
To find your server settings, sign in to your e-mail account using Outlook Web App. After you sign in, click Options > See All Options > Account > My Account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access. The POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP server name and other settings you may need to enter are listed on the Protocol Settings page under POP setting or IMAP setting, and SMTP setting.
If you see Not available next to POP setting, IMAP setting, and SMTP setting, your account may not be set up to use POP or IMAP e-mail programs. For more information, contact the person who manages your e-mail account.
What else do I need to know?
If your e-mail account is the type that requires registration, you must register it the first time you sign in to Outlook Web App. Connecting to your e-mail account through a mobile phone will fail if you haven't registered your account through Outlook Web App. After you sign in to your account, sign out. Then try to connect using your mobile phone. For more information about how to sign in to your account using Outlook Web App, see How to Sign In to Outlook Web App. If you have trouble signing in, see FAQs: Sign-in and Password Issues or contact the person who manages your e-mail account.