New Messaging Transport
This code sample is named TransportDemo. It demonstrates how to create a custom messaging transport for Pocket PC.
To run the code sample
Navigate to the solution file (*.sln), and double-click it. By default, the solution file is copied to the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce500\Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK\Samples\CPP\Win32\TransportDemo\``TransportDemo.sln
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 launches and loads the solution.
Build the solution (Ctrl+Shift+B).
Deploy the solution (F5).
To install the transport using a CAB
- Copy the installation CAB to the My Documents folder in the Windows Mobile Emulator. You will need to use the Remote File Viewer tool.
- In the emulator, click Start > Programs > File Explorer > My Documents > TransportDemoSetup.cab. Wait for the installation to complete.
- Start the Messaging application (Start > Messaging).
- Create a new account (Menu > Tools > New Account).
- Enter an e-mail address that uses the custom transport.
- Click Next.
- Click Next.
- Enter the username and password for the email account using the custom transport.
- Click Next.
- Select the Custom Transport from the Account Type drop down.
- Complete the remainder of the e-mail setup according to the custom transport messaging account settings.
To manually install the transport (without using a CAB)
Copy the transport DLL to the
\Windowsdirectory on the mobile device or in the emulator.
Set these registry keys using the Remote Registry Editor tool. Note that the key name "TransportDemo" must match the value for "Name" here.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\TransportDemo] "Name"="TransportDemo" "DLL"="TransportDemo.dll" "Port"=dword:00000000
Start the messaging application (Start > Messaging).
Create a new account (Menu > Tools > New Account).
Enter an e-mail address that uses the custom transport.
Enter the username and password for the email account using the custom transport.
Select the Custom Transport from the Account Type drop down.
Complete the remainder of the e-mail setup according to the custom transport messaging account settings.
When you build the solution, a setup file is created. You can launch it to configure all of the registry settings, and install the DLL.
To install the transport using the generated INF file
- On your workstation, navigate to the subfolder:
- Double-click the file
The transport in this code sample does not actually synchronize e-mail using a protocol. It just demonstrates how to construct a messaging transport.
Pocket PC SDK: Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK.
Smartphone SDK: Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK.
Development Environment: Visual Studio 2005.
ActiveSync: Version 4.0.
Send Feedback on this topic to the authors