Managing User Accounts
Topic Last Modified: 2009-03-06
Office Communications Server 2007 R2 offers wizards to enable and configure your user accounts for Office Communications Server 2007 R2. When you enable individual user accounts for Office Communications Server 2007 R2, you assign each user account to a Standard Edition server or Enterprise pool and you specify how each sign-in name (SIP URI) of the user is to be generated. After enabling user accounts in the Users container or other organizational unit (OU) of Active Directory Users and Computers, you can change user account settings or configure additional settings to specify the functionality available to each user.
Settings for user accounts can be configured in different ways. In general, settings can be configured by using the following methods:
- Globally for all users in the forest, using the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 snap-in.
- Individually or in groups, using the Configure Office Communications Server Users Wizard in the Office Communications Server snap-in or the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. After you enable user accounts in Active Directory Users and Computers, using these wizards to configure user accounts is recommended, especially for newly enabled user accounts, because it supports configuration of multiple users at a time.
- Individually, using the Communications tab of the user account in the Office Communications Server snap-in or Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. This is useful if you want to change a small number of settings for a small number of user accounts, or if you want to configure settings that cannot be configured by using the wizards.
All three methods are not available for configuration of all settings. Additionally, some of the user account settings that have global settings require that the global setting be configured prior to configuring settings on specific user accounts. For details about which methods can be used to configure each of the specific user settings, as well as the global configuration requirements, see Configurable User Account Settings.
For a server or pool that contains a large number of users, we recommend that you view or configure user accounts by using the Office Communications Server administration tools on a computer that is not running any other Office Communications Server services.
In This Section
- Configurable User Account Settings
- Enabling User Accounts for Office Communications Server
- Configuring Office Communications Server User Accounts By Using the Wizard
- Configuring Individual Office Communications Server User Account Properties
- Searching for Office Communications Server Users
- Moving Office Communications Server Users
- Deleting Office Communications Server Users
- Using WMI to Configure New Users