Step 3: Assign a Workstation Node Template
Applies To: Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2, Microsoft HPC Pack 2012, Microsoft HPC Pack 2012 R2, Windows HPC Server 2008 R2
After HPC Pack has been installed on the workstation computers that you want to add as workstation nodes to your HPC cluster, you can assign a workstation node template to add them to your cluster.
If your cluster is running at least HPC Pack 2008 R2 with SP3, you can also assign the node template to add unmanaged server nodes running Windows Server and on which HPC Pack is installed. For more information, see Adding Unmanaged Servers to a Windows HPC Cluster.
- Before you assign a workstation node template, make sure that all the workstation computers that you want to add to your cluster are turned on.
- You can also use the Add Node Wizard to add workstation nodes to your cluster.
To assign a workstation node template
In HPC Cluster Manager, in Node Management, in the Navigation Pane, under Nodes, under By Node Health, click Unapproved.
In the list of Unapproved nodes, select all the workstation nodes to which you want to assign the workstation node template.
Right-click the selected nodes, and then click Assign Node Template (or click Assign Node Template in the Actions pane). The Assign Node Template dialog box appears.
Click the workstation node template that you want to assign, and then click OK. The workstation nodes that you selected will be moved to the Transitional state, and will no longer be listed in the list of Unapproved nodes.
Repeat the previous steps to assign other workstation node templates to any remaining workstation nodes.
After the workstation node templates are assigned, the workstation nodes that are configured to be brought online and offline manually will be offline, and the workstation nodes that are configured to be brought online and offline according to a weekly availability policy will begin to follow that policy.
To bring online the workstation nodes that are configured to be brought online and offline manually, in Node Management, select the nodes, and then, in the Actions pane, click Bring Online.
- Workstation nodes that are configured to be brought online and offline according to a weekly availability policy cannot be brought online or offline manually. To configure these nodes to be brought online and offline manually, you must assign to them a different workstation node template, or you must modify their current workstation node template.
- Changes made to a workstation node template affect all workstation nodes to which the template is assigned.
- If your cluster includes workstation nodes that have been updated with different HPC Pack service packs that support different availability policies, you might want to create and assign separate node templates to each set of nodes. To determine which version of HPC Pack is installed on the nodes, in HPC Cluster Manager, add the Version column in the node list view, and then sort the nodes by version number.
- Workstation nodes that run the Windows operating system and are added to the cluster appear in HPC Cluster Manager in the WorkstationNodes node group. Nodes that run the Windows Server operating system appear in the UnmanagedServers group.