Tutorial: Replicating Data with Mobile Clients
New: 17 July 2006
Replication is a good solution to the problem of moving data between a central server and mobile clients that are only occasionally connected. Using replication's wizards, you can easily configure and administer a replication topology. This tutorial shows you how to configure a replication topology for mobile clients.
What You Will Learn
In this tutorial you will use merge replication to publish data from a central database to one or more mobile users so that each user gets a uniquely filtered subset of the data. The first lesson shows how to use SQL Server Management Studio to create a publication. Later lessons show how to create and synchronize a subscription.
This tutorial is intended for users familiar with fundamental database operations, but who have limited experience with replication. Before you start this tutorial, you must complete Tutorial: Preparing the Server for Replication.
To use this tutorial, your system must have the following components installed:
At the Publisher server (source):
- Any edition of SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later, except for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) or SQL Server Compact Edition (SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition). These editions cannot be a replication Publisher.
- The AdventureWorks sample database. To enhance security, the sample databases are not installed by default. To install the sample databases, see Running Setup to Install AdventureWorks Sample Databases and Samples.
Subscriber server (destination):
- Any edition of SQL Server 2005 SP1, except for SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition. SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition is not supported by the publication created in this tutorial.
Replication is not installed by default on SQL Server Express. For information about installing replication, see How to: Install Replication During SQL Server Express Setup. The Publisher and Subscriber can share the same instance of SQL Server 2005.
In SQL Server Management Studio, you must connect to the Publisher and Subscriber using a login that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.
Estimated time to complete this tutorial: 30 minutes.
Lessons in This Tutorial
- Lesson 1: Publishing Data Using Merge Replication
- Lesson 2: Creating a Subscription to the Merge Publication
- Lesson 3: Synchronizing the Subscription to the Merge Publication
For reviewing tutorials we recommend that you add Next and Previous buttons to the document viewer toolbar. For more information, see Adding Next and Previous Buttons to Help.