Replicating Data to SQL Server Compact Edition
Merge replication allows you to replicate data to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition, providing a convenient way for mobile users to synchronize data changes with a central SQL Server database. Many applications require data to be available to remote users, including sales people, delivery drivers, and so on. These applications include customer relationship management (CRM), sales force automation (SFA), and field force automation (FFA) applications. For more information about these scenarios, see Exchanging Data with Mobile Users.
Merge replication synchronizes data with SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition using Web synchronization. The format in which data changes are delivered to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition is different from other SQL Server editions, but the architecture is essentially the same: a Subscriber sends its changes to the Publisher through Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) server, and receives its changes from the Publisher through the same IIS server. For more information about the architecture for SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition synchronization, see Replication Architecture. For more information about configuring the IIS server for connectivity, see Configuring and Securing the Server Environment.
Creating Publications and Subscriptions for SQL Server Compact Edition
Publications are created using the New Publication Wizard or the stored procedure sp_addmergepublication (Transact-SQL). Publications that support SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition subscriptions have a number of requirements and limitations (for example, character mode snapshot is required):
- For information about the settings required for publications, see Creating the Publication.
- For information about how data types are mapped from other editions to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition, see Data Types and Replication.
- For information about limitations (such as objects that cannot be replicated), see Replication Limitations.
Subscriptions are created using the New Subscription Wizard or programmatically. For more information, see Creating a Subscription.
SQL Server Management Studio and Replication Monitor
Like standard SQL Server subscriptions, SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition subscriptions are displayed in SQL Server Management Studio and Replication Monitor:
- For information about synchronizing subscriptions in SQL Server Management Studio, see Synchronous Data Synchronization.
- For information about monitoring subscriptions, see Monitoring Replication (SQL Server Compact Edition).