Tutorial: Creating a Report Model
This tutorial is designed to help you create a report model based on the AdventureWorks sample database. You can also follow these steps to create models using your own data. In this tutorial, you will set up connection information, define a view of the data source, define a report model, and publish the model to a report server. After you have completed this tutorial, you can use the report model to build reports using Report Builder. For help creating reports using Report Builder, you can follow the tutorial "Building a Table Report" found in the Report Builder standalone Help file.
The sample databases are not installed automatically during setup, but you can install them at any time. For information about installing the samples, see Installing Samples.
To use this tutorial, your system must have the following installed to create a report model:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services running in native mode. Support for models is not available in SQL Server Express Editions. For more information, see Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2005.
- SQL Server 2005 with the AdventureWorks sample database.
- SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence Development Studio.
Note Business Intelligence (BI) Development Studio is not supported on Itanium-based computers. However, support for BI Development Studio is available for x64-based computers. If the SQL Server sample databases have been deployed on an Itanium-based computer, use BI Development Studio on either an x86-based or x64-based computer to modify and run the samples.
In addition, you must have the following permissions:
- To deploy and publish the report model, you need to be assigned to the Content Manager or Publisher role.
- Permissions to retrieve data from the AdventureWorks database.
When reviewing tutorials it is recommended you add next and previous buttons to the document viewer toolbar. For more information, see Adding Next and Previous Buttons to Help.