Setting and Retrieving Version Information
Version information includes the history and current status of a source-controlled file. For every source-controlled file, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe maintains a comprehensive history, so you can track the evolution of one or more files over time. You can also use this information to retrieve a local copy of any version of the file or to compare any two file versions.
The history of a file includes:
- The version number, which identifies its sequence among other versions of the same file.
- The action performed. Tracked operations include file creation, check in, and deletion.
- The user name of the person who performed an action involving the file.
- The date and time when the operation was performed.
Visual SourceSafe also maintains current status information on the currently loaded solution. This information provides a snapshot of the current state of the file, including:
- The identity of the user who has the file checked out.
- The latest version number of the selected file.
- The date when the version was created.
- The user comment associated with the version.
- The paths to the projects with which the file is shared.
In This Section
- How to: View File History
- How to: View Project History
- How to: View File Status
- How to: Retrieve Files
- How to: Specify a Version as the Latest Version
- How to: Compare Files
- How to: Share Files
- How to: View and Print Reports